Do you think the media goes too far?

I'm just curious what or how you feel about it. I understand you don't have to watch or read or even listen. What are your thoughts about it?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 7:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• most main stream US media goes far too far
    it is a business and "drama" sells
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I think the media needs to get the FACTS before going to print or jumping on a story. I think they sensationalize shit that should be left alone. I think too many consumers get a kick out of all the twisted shit that other people do so the media makes everything bigger and splashier.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• I think there should be consequences for spreading misinformation which go beyond printing a tiny retraction on page 15, 2 weeks later. All the ones flat out lying or exaggerating the properties of assorted weapons over the past month are a shining example.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:42 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Without specificity as to how, yes - I think they do go too far.  I think a lot of media now has a bias and they lie about it.  Instead of reporting news they want to tell a story.  

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:45 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• The media has always gone too far, but now with 24/7 coverage, the internet, etc, they are even worse. The need to fill air time, and so if they don't have the facts, they make up stuff that sounds good. Doesn't matter to them if someone is hurt because of their misinformation, the only thing that matters to them is that they have something to talk about.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Yes, it does go too far. Everyone needs to know every bloody detail of everything so we can then make an informed opinion! Whatever. My husband is in media, specifically an anchor and while it's his job to be part of the team, we are often disappointed by the news. Moreover, there is such a thing as negative attention (like copy cat stuff) that might be reduced if the media revised what they aired. But, it's more important to sell news than censor it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:00 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• all the time they do
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Yes they do. I don't watch the news unless something important is happening. Even then they milk it for all it's worth.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:06 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• one word

YES
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 8:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Yes sometimes
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 17, 2013