Signs of autisim in a 2 year old?

What are some signs you've learned? Or how did you k now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know one sign is the child being slow to talk, or non verbal even. Rocking back and forth. Not making eye contact. Doesn't like change or new situations. The pediatrician should be able to tell you more.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• No pointing at objects to get your attention
    Hand flapping
    playing with toys in a way that is not intended(flipping cars over to spin the wheels instead of pushing it)
    No copying of facial expressions
    lining up objects
    sorting objects by size/color/category

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Slow with speech, little/no eye contact, not responding consistently to their name - those are the ones I saw

Answer by missanc at 9:35 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• There are signs, but please don't just watch for those. My granddaughter is 5. She did not speak until she was 3. She used to sit by herself and line up toys, books, organize everything! She is totally fine...... she attends speech and will start school this fall. She has so many issues with her tonsils, ears, etc.... I believe her speech delay was because of those.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• The child may not play with toys in the way that they were intended, or, the child may not play with toys at all.  My younger daughter carried toothbrushes and spoons with her everywhere.  She found a whisk in my kitchen and that became a favorite "toy".  She did make eye-contact, and was not bothered by loud noises or bright lights, but often, kids on the spectrum won't, and are.

Check here and here for a bit more information - but there are many resources that can give you more signs to watch for.

It is important to have the child evaluated if you are at all concerned.  Early intervention is so important.  That can't be stressed enough.  Good luck!

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• A great resource for looking at signs in "Ages and Stages" on the Easter Seals website. The range of symptoms is huge, and most people manifest differently. Good luck!
    Oleary1024

Answer by Oleary1024 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 25, 2013