Do you buy organic vegetables, dairy or eggs?

I try to buy certain things organic.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 17, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I only buy organic eggs. Fruit and veg I buy organic when possible but around here they are into sustainable farming which comes very close to organic. We have a local farmer's shop which is usually pretty well supplied. I also try to buy only fruit and veg that are in season (the exception being bananas for one of my daughters).

The prices for organic here are pretty reasonable - they seldom cost more than 25% more than regular and sometimes even cost less ...
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 2:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I try to buy all organic.  Emphasis on "try".  Sometimes, it's just not possible because of cost or availability.  Eggs, though, I make sure are free range.  Not only are they more humane, but their nutritional value is actually higher - and they taste better, believe it or not!  I also try to stick with the guidelines regarding which fruits and vegetables "must" be organic - those that absorb or retain the most pesticides, like strawberries and broccoli.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Actually, free range eggs aren't much better than conventional eggs. The term and regulations have been completely dumbed down. Free range birds do have more space and may have access to the outside but they aren't roaming free. What you want is now called pastured. Those are the birds that get to roam. Sorry, it's part of my food education work.

I have a flock of chickens, so I rarely have to buy eggs. I do buy some organic veggies and fruit. I am working on the all organic dairy.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:16 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• yes ,I tend to follow the dirty dozen list and buy those dozen organic.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 11:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• In the summer, pretty much all our veggies are organic - either because that's how I grow them or I buy from the organic farmers at the farmers market. It's all hard to come by in stores around here, and 3-4x the price of regular.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 12:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We grow most of our own veggies and try to buy local for our fruit, but are working on fruit trees for ourselves too. We get raw milk (not organic) from SIL, and the neighbor has pastured chickens that we get eggs from. We buy a side of beef once a year and make sure to get grass fed, and also buy a piglet and pay to have a friend raise it on mostly scraps from the local grocery store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2013