Jon Stewart Takes On NRA Over ATF Limitations On Enforcing Existing Gun Laws

As expected the, NRA wasn't particularly pleased with President Obama's gun control proposals. And why not? As Jon Stewart outlined on Wednesday night's "Daily Show", the organization has enjoyed massive influence on gun laws and their enforcement for quite a while.

If you've been asking yourself why the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms hasn't been more effective in controlling the massive amounts of illegal guns in this country, you're not alone. Watch part one above of Jon's look at the limitations that are "completely castrating" the ATF and part two below. Get ready to have your head spin.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2013/01/17/jon-stewart-nra-limiting-atf-law-enforcement_n_2495301.html

This actually explains a lot. This should be the first thing we fix to try to reduce gun violence, and it should be something that both sides can come together on. I'm very surprised that we're not hearing anything about fixing this. It disgusts me.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Jan. 17, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• That was a great show. I am so disgutsed with the NRA, I always have been, They are in the business of helping to sell guns and sell naive gullible people that it is GOOD to have a bunch of weapons.
    I can't see why anyone needs a Military type weapon that can shoot a ton of bullets at one time...unless they are in the Military in a War Zone.
    Jon Stewart is a genius.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 12:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I can't see why anyone needs a Military type weapon that can shoot a ton of bullets at one time

More of that mythical "military type weapon" that the media has convinced people is running rampant in people's homes. Exactly what type of gun is this "military type weapon" and how exactly does it shoot a ton of bullets at one time when it's illegal to own an automatic weapon that is not an antique?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Exactly how is NP being a bully? By pointing out the truth? She asked a legitimate question and pointed out that automatic weapons are already illegal and she's a bully now for doing so. Stop being a simpleton, OP.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 6:39 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Brave man.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• If you really want to educate people about guns you're going about it the wrong way.

My point is that it's not my job to educate people about guns - they should be doing it themselves. it's great if you've picked things up from what I've posted, but if you hadn't, would you have bothered to look it up on your own before speaking out?

You posted a skewed, editorial article featuring a video by a comedian attempting to marginalize a legitimate issue by dismissing it as empty whining and painting all gun owners as southern hicks. It then dismisses Obama's inability to appoint an ATF director for FOUR fucking years, and blames it on the NRA, who have no say in the matter. He forgets to mention he was dealing with a democratically controlled senate - meaning guys on his side. So how is that the NRA's fault?

I suppose you'd rather I go back to talking about people who lie about guns instead?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• . It doesn't matter,

Remember that next time some idiot in Missouri tells you your body will reject the sperm if you are legitimately raped. He doesn't think those kind of details matter, either, so long as you ban abortion.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Oh stop bullying NP. It doesn't matter, that's not the point.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• OMG: wow! Thanks for sharing this.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• What the hell are you even talking about? My post is about the NRA restricting the ATF. I get that you like to "put people in their place" when they don't every little bit of gun trivia like you do but let's try to stay on topic. You've actually helped educate me on guns, and I would thank you, except you've been throwing petty insults at everyone who doesn't agree with you or know as much as you do. If you really want to educate people about guns you're going about it the wrong way. Instead of educating you are criticizing, insulting, and belittling people.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• While I respect your opinion, it still does not change mine. I'm not making excuses for Obama, the NRA has been in congressmens pockets for a long time and it needs to stop. The ATF needs to be able to enforce gun laws.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2013