Weevils in my flour

I just found weevil bugs (super tiny bugs) in my flour tonight. The bag was in an airtight container. I trashed the flour and took it out right away to the trash can and put hot water in the container. Do I have to scrub everything down or just a fast spray of windex in the cupboard and wiped it down is enough or should I take everything out and wash it? I didn't notice any bugs on the towel but they are so tiny It could be I just did not see them.

MamaLisec

Asked by MamaLisec at 11:27 PM on Jan. 17, 2013 in Food & Drink

• No, you shouldn't have to scrub everything down.
    They were in your flour and no where else.
    I keep my flour and corn meal inthe fridge so that doesn't happen to me.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Thank you. I didn't know that flour could go in the fridge. I will do that from now on!
    MamaLisec

Comment by MamaLisec (original poster) at 11:36 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Às long as you keep it in an airtight container, it'll be fine.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Yo should be fine if the container was air tight. The bug eggs were already in the flour when you bought it. I routinly pop a new bag of flour into my freezer.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Thank you ladies. I won't worry about it then. @Dardenella How often do you change the bag?
    MamaLisec

Comment by MamaLisec (original poster) at 11:48 PM on Jan. 17, 2013

• Bay leaves in the flour will help keep them away. I keep extra flour and cornmeal in the freezer, just keep a small amount in the cabinets. I've not really had problems with white flour, just whole wheat and cornmeal. Since I've started using bay leaves and freezing part of it, I've had no problems.
    mikesmom65270

Answer by mikesmom65270 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I just read about the bay leaves thing. Never knew they helped with that. I had white flour so that is weird. I think I will just keep it in the fridge from now on. Thanks for the reply!
    MamaLisec

Comment by MamaLisec (original poster) at 12:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Oh I put it in for 24 hours or so and any eggs would be dead. Then I just store it in the cupboard. It depends generally I but a 10 lb each month. I make noddles and bread often enough. At christmas and then again in April I buy a 25 lb sack because I bake a huge amount of cookies, December to eat and give away and in April for the faire season which lasts 4 weeks and I feed 35 people each of the days.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I found this http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Weevils-%28Flour-Bugs%29.  Hope it helps.  Good luck.  

booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Also check anything that contains wheat such as graham crackers, cereal, etc. Those tiny bugs can get into unopened, yes unopened packages.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 3:10 PM on Jan. 26, 2013