The anon looking for help feeding her son

Sorry your first answer came from such a twat, you deleted before my answer went through. Have a lot of suggestions for you, though.

Cut out all the hamburger helper, granola bars and other prepackaged stuff. It's mostly salt and/or sugar, very little nutritional value (Nature Valley granola bars and Little Debbie snacks have the same nutritional info).

Look up how to make your own pasta from scratch - super simple, way cheaper than boxed, done in the time it takes to boil the water anyway, and the most important part - fresh pasta is exponentially more filling than dried. It also cooks up faster once the water is boiling, so overall, dinner is ready sooner.

Make him oatmeal in the morning - plain canister Quaker oats, not the packets full of corn syrup. They cook in the same amount of time, but the real oats are better for him, even if he adds a little butter and syrup to them. Oatmeal is about the most filling thing you can feed him short of a full weekend breakfast.

Try to have protein, carbs and fats in every meal or snack. Never do just one kind of food (just an apple, or just a string cheese). Always mix a dairy and a vegetable or a protein and a fruit and so on.

Instead of granola bars, take the time on the weekend to make a huge batch of homemade granola. It will be cheaper in the long run, have healthier ingredients, and be more filling if you focus on things like dried fruits and nuts, less on the filler that goes in boxed granola bars. Send it with him in a bag.

Focus as much as you can on cooking from scratch. There are a lot of resources for that - I have a group here if you're interested, others do as well - just avoid the ones that want you to cook like Paula Deen and make everything fattening, look for ones that are both frugal AND healthy.

For your regular meals, hit heavy with high fiber fruits and vegetables, making meat the smallest part of the meal, but if you go meatless, make sure you still have some source of protein (beans, avocado, etc). The fiber is also more filling.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• I missed the question and if you would like to repost and leave it up I will try my best to help you. NP has given very good guidelines.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• To the Anon-Google "weekly meal plans and planned left overs"
    This is a great way to save money, cook once and eat twice.

i.e. cook a turkey on monday, on wednesday have turkey enchiladas with homemade tortillas, on friday have turkey soup.
    cook a roast for tuesday, have stew on thursday and on saturday have nachos.

everything can be fresh or made from scratch
    cheaper than anything prepared/ boxed foods
    a turkey @ $1.99 per pound
    a roast @ $2.99 per pound
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I missed the question and if you would like to repost and leave it up I will try my best to help you.

From the sound of it, she has a 13 year old boy in a growth spurt.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I never thought I would say this but I am getting to the point of making things homemade as well. I see all the stuff that I used to buy that is boxed and there is so much salt and all other kinds of junk in it. I am trying to get a good blender as well. My son said that he would start getting more stuff in that way too... lol I think the texture of some veggies is what turns him off.. lol

You have a lot of great tips... I need to look up how to make the home made granola. That sounds so good and it will be better for me and my son as well.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2013