What would you think if you saw this when you were shopping at JCP?

Man raises questions after carrying rifle into JC Penney

Pictures of a man carrying a rifle inside a big box store in Riverdale are raising a lot of eyebrows. The woman who took them tells KSL the man had no business bringing the gun where he did.

It was supposed to be just a regular trip to the JC Penney. Wednesday night, Cindy Yorgason was in line to return something when she saw a man with some pretty heavy fire power.

"He had the assault rifle over his shoulder," Yorgason said. "He had a handgun on the right side of his belt along with at least one additional clip."

She got out her phone after she said "a couple of other customers started to raise their eyes and look at this guy like, ‘Is he crazy?'"

She never felt threatened, but she believes a place like JC Penney is an inappropriate place to bring a weapon.

"He was in the wrong place and shouldn't be doing this at this location," Yorgason said.

Even some gun advocates agree that carrying a high powered rifle into a busy store wasn't appropriate. Clark Aposhian says he has openly carried weapons in the past, but people need to practice good decorum.

"I, generally, try not to do it if it's going to upset the business owner or other people around me," Aposhian said.

Aposhian believes exposure to weapons like this may make people more tolerant of them in the future, but, for now, he says carrying weapons this way is a bad idea, even if it is legal.

Store employees said the man in the pictures is 22-year-old Joseph Kelley, an Ogden resident. They said he's done this before to garner reaction.

KSL News reached out to Kelley Thursday, but he did not return our calls. He was not arrested and wasn't asked to leave by store management.

This happened in Riverton, Utah

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 9:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I am in WY and I see people open carry. It has never occurred to me to be afraid. Of course...I did grow up in Texas back in the day when pickups had gun in racks.....even when parked at the local high school.

Some of you need to get on something for anxiety. Geesh.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• This is coming from the corner of my mind that still believes the brainwashing I got while in the military.

Almost half of the 9 weeks I was in Boot Camp was spent on weapon use and safety. From that training, and looking at that guy and the way he has the weapon secured, he was being as safe as he could. Slung across the body like that, muzzle down, is how they taught us to secure your weapon when you cannot lock it up, and do not have anyone to post a guard on it.

To see someone go by me like that would make me raise my eyebrows, but I wouldn't think much else about it. Now, if he gave me a weird/creepy feeling then I might be more concerned.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• If he wanted a weapon, I'd say a small handgun. A weapon as big as this one would alarm me.

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I would say that his shirt clashes horribly with the gun and his belt (but at least he tried to get the gun and belt to match kind of like women that make their belts and purses match). Anyways the thing that disturbs me is in the article when it states this guy does it merely to "garner reaction". Yeah that's not a reason I find excusable and just serves as a red flag IMO.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Nothing... Maybe he is a cop on duty, or a security guard. Seriously, I wouldn't think twice. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I don't think there's any good reason to carry a rifle into a store .
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I would've called the cops to be honest... there is NO reason someone should be carrying around a big gun like that unless they ARE a cop or a soldier and are in full uniform. and see he was not in uniform or showing any other form of identification I would've assumed he was some crazy person about to shoot up the store and would've called 911.... i hate when idiots do things like this for "a reaction" >:(
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 9:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I might be taken aback at first (mostly because it's not something you see every day), but I don't think I would see it as threatening. If he wasn't acting erratically and threatening then why would I assume that he would use his guns on me?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Unless someone is a police officer on duty, then they have no business being in a store so heavily armed.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• i think hes doing more harm than good by carrying that around. he's making all gun owners look like weirdos ("i needs my gun at the JCPenneys to ward off any bad guys!"). it isnt necessary and it isnt smart. he isnt protecting anything, i doubt Riverton, Utah is such a bad scary place that he honestly felt he needed protection. this is not what the founding fathers had in mind when they wrote the Second Amendment...some ppl take it way too far.

i would leave the store and if i had things i wanted to buy i would find another line to wait in. i would wonder about his sanity and purpose at having that in a store.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2013