Crap... wrong thing from the pharmacy? Wait and call Dr or try it out?

My dd (9.5yo) has a horrible cough, been about 6 weeks now and it started getting worse cause we caught another cold virus or something. Anyways, I took her to the doctor again yesterday and they had her do a breathing treatment there in the office to see if it helped and then he prescribed her some "Qvar" which he explained to me was just like the Albuterol that we already have with a Nebulizer to do breathing treatments at home (have it for my younger daughter but he said was okay to use with oldest as well. He told me the Qvar was just a stronger medicine with a steriod in it and hopefully would help really kick this cough, he even gave me the mouthpiece and attachments that they had to open and use for the in-office treatment saying it would work with the new prescription. But when I opened up the prescription that we picked up yesterday evening it is an actual Inhaler, like the little handheld puffer thing... I have NO idea how to use one of those and it is not what he explained to me it would be so I don't know if we should wait and call his office and hope to hear back from them today (being a friday and all!) or if I should just let her try the inhaler and see if it helps? It says "Inhale 1 Puff by mouth twice daily" so I was gonna have her do it now in the morning and once before bed. I didn't have her do it last night because I was feeling shitty and went to bed at like 6pm and when I got up to make sure the kids got to bed at 8pm she was already asleep (guess she was really feeling crappy too cause she is NEVER asleep that early!).

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 9:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Albuterol
    that can be an inhaler and a nebulizer but Qvar is in fact an inhaler so you did get the right thing.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I'd call the pharmacy first and make sure it wasn't a mix-up on their part. I'd call the doctor immediately too and tell them it can't wait, you have to have a call back about it!
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:48 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Qvar IS an inhaler
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Ok, so the doctor was probably mistaken in thinking it would work with a nebulizer? I can't call his office till after 8am but am glad for the responses ladies :)
    DreainCO

Comment by DreainCO (original poster) at 9:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• oh and how you use it is, you insert the inhaler in mouth (of coarse) and push the bottle down and it will mist out the medicine, she will need to take a deep breathe when she does this.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 9:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2013