100 math problems in 5 minutes? Is this really normal?

DS is 8 and in the 2nd grade, he is in advanced math class, they expect you to do 100 math problems in 5 minutes. We are not talking super advanced but 2 digit numbers, addition and subtraction. He did 70 in that amount of time. I asked to see the test, and tried to do it myself, I made it, but barely, LOL!
Teacher sends a note home, that his 70 was unaccepatble?
Here is an example of one of the questions.
56
-17
_____
so it involves more than just simple 2+2 kind of stuff. Does this seem a bit hard to anyone but me?

jerseydiva

Asked by jerseydiva at 10:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She actually wrote "unacceptable" on the paper? I would be sooo all over her ass. There are nicer ways to say that a kid needs to work a little harder. It has nothing to do with being one of "those" mothers. It has to do with that teacher is rude to a child. that is unacceptable. We are not talking about a teenager, we are talking about a little kid.

Call her today.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Yes this is totally normal, its called "5min math" and my dd did it all last year and I think even the year before (she is in 3rd grade now so through 1st and 2nd grade) its to help them memorize. The problems never changed and were always easy addition or subtraction, it was a goal to complete the whole page by the end of the year, once they could do the whole sheet in 5minutes 3 times in a row then they didn't have to do it anymore. Was this his first time doing the 5min math or have they been doing it for awhile and he's still getting 70/100? Maybe you could ask the teacher for some extra copies and have him practice on it at home?
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 10:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• First I was going to say it was probably just to see how many they can do in 5 minutes... but the teachers note of it saying it's unacceptable is crazy! I'm terrible at math, I couldn't do all of them :P

Advanced math or not, that's a lot in a little time. I'd have a one-on-one with the teacher about it.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 10:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• They used to just be considered a challenge test to see how you could do. I don't really think it's a you do or die situation, is it?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Our kids have "five minute math" too. But it is just practice to see how they are progressing. It should be getting better as the weeks go by. I would call the teacher and ask her what it up with the rude note.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I remember doing those in school. I thought they were fun, but I am a nerd like that. If he is in advanced math then a 70% probably is unacceptable. I would talk to the teacher about it and see what she expects. If it is the first time he has done one of those then expecting 100%, even in advanced classes, is unacceptable.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We did those in school every Friday
    We were expected to get at LEAST 60 done(which would be a D)

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I remember doing this is school, I think its normal
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• My kid is eight & there isn't an advanced math class in her school. She does 100 math problems in less than 5 minutes every night. Its normal.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2013

• oh the teacher thing I agree should be addressed
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 18, 2013