I asked this a few days back and received no help, just rude responses. Can you help?

My month old refuses to sleep anywhere other than in my arms or daddy's arms. How can I get her to sleep in her crib or bassinet?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, you have to be consistant. Lie her down, let her cry and eventually she will catch on. She is only a month, she will conform, trust me.
    Anonymous

• well here is what i did: i got a snuggle baby nest and put it in bed between me and DH and for 6 weeks he slept in that, then i took the sleep positioner out of the snuggle baby nest and put it in the basinette and he slept in that until like 3 and a half months then i took the positioner out and put it in the crib and he slept like that for a week then he didnt need the positioner anymore. also i reccomend a swaddler like the miracle blanket
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 5:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Schedule. Do the same thing for a couple weeks in a row. Baby will get the swing of things.
    Anonymous

• Honestly, you can't do much of anything about it. There is nothing wrong with your little one. She has been cradled by you her whole life up until a month ago, so it's no wonder she wants to be cradled by you as she sleeps. As she gets a little older and a little more independent, she'll be able to sleep better on her own. You really can't sleep train a baby that young. You could research safe co-sleeping and see if that's an option that might work for you. Something that helped me catch a few zzzz's in those early weeks was sleeping in shifts with my husband so we could each sleep at least a little. I also got really good at anticipating what I would need for the next couple of hours, so before I sat down with baby, I got my little camp all set up around me.
    Anonymous

• My son is 6 now, but when he was born we got a classical music CD in a diaper bag from the hospital, and we started using in a CD player in his room, just playing quietly to help calm and soothe him and it helped him to go to sleep, and still does. Most people tell you to let them scream and cry and carry on because they will eventually wear themselves out and fall asleep, but that is VERY hard on parents and anyone else who is around and if you live in an apartment, it can be very disruptive for the other tenants if the apartment isn't insulated properly to help reduce the noise.

I hope this helps.
    Solera

Answer by Solera at 5:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• This seems like an easy answer but it's not . I'v been in your shoes and feel for you. In my particular case, I chose to co-sleep with my baby. It's recommended that we do not let any baby under 3 mos, cry it out. So I followed my heart and allowed her in our bed. Maybe she can fall asleep in your arms and they try to put her in the crib. Also, there is something you can but that connects to bed allowing your baby close by. Check out www.onestepahead.com, they have lots of really neat and interesting products for babies that you can't find at regular stores
    Anonymous

• Yeah we have been doing sleeping shifts and I won't leave her to cry.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 5:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Mine wouldn't sleep in a crib or bassinet consistently for the first couple of months...she had acid and spit up issues and didn't like being flat on her back. She did really well on an incline (in a bouncer seat or a swing). I transitioned her to the crib at about 2 1/2 mo. and was fine. At one month you're still sort of in survival mode. Whatever works. Try to get into a routine, but don't worry too much about it...it becomes more important a little later on.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i sleep with my kids so im no help
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Babies like to be held, it's natural. All of mine slept in my arms or my husband's, and honestly I sleep much better that way. If you want to sleep rather than stay up all night listening to her cry I would do what works for her. She won't be a baby forever, and I think letting an infant cry because it's more convenient for you ( not YOU specifically, but parents in general) is pretty selfish. She will grow up before you know it and you have a choice: you can have memories of holding her and watching her sleep peacefully in your arms as a baby, or you can have memories of listening to her cry and knowing you broke her heart by leaving her alone there. In my opinion, most parents who brag about how they let their babies cry really don't have anything to be proud of and are clinging desperately to a selfish choice. When she gets a little bigger and trusts that you are always there for her, she will be able to sleep by herself.
    Anonymous