When did you start making your child take 'adult' medicine?

my dd is not even 10 yet but she is already 90lbs and in the highest dose bracket for all children's medicine (going off of weight) and it kinda sucks because we buy the liquid Children's Motrin and her dose alone is like 1/3 of the bottle! We've also gotten the "Junior strength" Tylenol but even then she's taking 3 of the chewable tablets for the right dose. She can/will NOT swallow pills so we haven't tried making her take an 'adult' medicine yet but its getting to the point where I just can't afford to keep buying more and more of the Children's medicine (I have 3 kids so seem to go through it a LOT not just from her, but at least the other two are just taking like 1tsp-1.5tsp doses at a time). What would really be great is if they made 'adult' doses in chewables, i hate swallowing pills too but at least I don't gag and throw up every time like she does...

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 12:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I am going to fess up! I have a hard time with pills, when I have a headache, I take my kid's liquid Motrin, LOL. My son still takes the liquid, but my daughter takes adult meds, she is know 14, and has for about 2 years now. She only weighs 100 lbs. (small) so it wasn't that big of deal to wait. I on the other hand weigh a bit more than that, so I take a dose of children's fit for a horse, LOL!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 12:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I think its 12 and up takes adult medicine but it also depends on their weight
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• My 11 yr old still takes children's versions, but he's a skinny little thing - only weighs like 75 lbs.

If she uses that much, I'd look into the adult meds. Look around - I've seen some adult meds in chewable form. You could also have her try swallowing the pills in a spoonful of ice cream, pudding, soup, etc. - something she doesn't have to chew, but might help the pills go down easier.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I base it by weight. I started giving it at 10.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• My child weighed more and was taller than the average 10 yr old, BUT...I also called my pediatrician to make sure that I was doing the right thing before giving the meds.
    madmueller

Answer by madmueller at 12:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I would talk with the doc, but at that weight I would think a smaller dose of adults meds would make more sense then children's meds. I have found chewable motrin and liquid for adults too, but it is difficult to find.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• When they got to that age and weight it said I could on the bottle.

Answer by louise2 at 12:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I wish they'd throw the age out and go on weight instead. I had one daughter who was 10 and only 65 lbs. Little miss skinny butt. Then we have her sister who at 8 was 100 and 4 inches taller then her. I guess I look at the age but a lot goes based on their weight as well.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• When the dosage equaled - I did double check with the pharmacy to make sure 200 mg of childrens was the same as 200 mg adults, but my oldest 2 have been taking a single Advil since they were about 8 because it was the same amount.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2013