Do you live in an open carry state?

If your state isn't red, you do.  If it's green you need a license first, if it's light tan, you don't. Dark tan has no explicit law and have never outlawed it, so federal law takes precedence, which allows open carry.  Of the red states, most of the ones in the South have the law on the books from the Civil War, and have just never bothered to repeal it.
Now why is it people are freaking out and demanding people should be arrested for following the law in those 43 states?  Is it, perhaps, that this lack of exposure to a piece of machinery is what fosters so much fear among people?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I do, I am in good ol' Utah
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Oklahoma, Just passed a Law like that. Except on Military posts/bases.

Answer by louise2 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Oklahoma, Just passed a Law like that.

Yep, that threw me at first - the original page I'd looked up said 8 states, and still included Oklahoma, they were one of the ones that had the law from the Civil War.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• LOL! You know what's funny? Most of the red states are where most New Yorkers retire to. I wonder if the reason is that there are so many retired business men that had permits to carry because they transported a lot of cash to the bank each night. That's why my Dad had one. He never flung a rifle over his back to do it. It was always holstered inconspicuously. I'm in NY and the only time you would notice a gun displayed for all to see is by the Military at Penn Station.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• we just passed it b/c someone realized that we werent open carry like most other red states so it had to be made into law...thats how Oklahoma makes laws. im kinda surprised that Texas and Arkansas arent open carry.

i get open carry handguns, they are in a holster, they usually have that button flap over them, some ppl need to it feel safe b/c they see bad things everywhere or something, i dunno. in OK you cant take them into schools, bars, colleges, or govt buildings, so thats good imo. i also like that you have to get a permit for it...it helps distinguish illegal guns from legal ones. what i dont get is needing to take your rifle or shot gun to a store...ya gonna be hunting deer in the parking lot?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• what i dont get is needing to take your rifle or shot gun to a store...ya gonna be hunting deer in the parking lot?

It's more normal in rural areas. But, it's also done regularly by organized groups as a reminder to people that it is legal (and in some cases, that they need to get over themselves). The guy in Utah seems to do it in the same way, just on his own. He did nothing illegal, he did nothing threatening. The fact that people find a gun slung over someone's back, where it isn't just going to go off, to be threatening, is more about the people around him than the guy with the gun.

It's akin to people who see a pitbull and immediately think they are in danger and the dog should be destroyed.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Yes. I think lack of exposure has something to do with it; the confusion on what an assault weapon actually is also contributes (but that might tie back into the lack of exposure thing.) But what do I know, I'm a 'hillbilly from hillbilly land'. ;)
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I live in Oregon, and in the rural areas of this state, people do carry guns frequently as a part of the culture. As long as it's not concealed, it's ok to carry. This also applies to your car. A lot of men in the rural areas have guns in the back windows of their pickup trucks. Thats also ok, but it's not ok to have a pistol in your glove box, for example. To do that, you have to have a permit.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Yes

You know what else is legal in my state? Knives of ANY size, as long as they are in plain view on your person. So legally i could strap a razor sharp katana to my back,a hunting knife to my thigh,and a knife to my waist,and walk into a store. Do you think the cops would be called?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I sure do!
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 1:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2013