Do you live in an open carry state?

If your state isn't red, you do.  If it's green you need a license first, if it's light tan, you don't. Dark tan has no explicit law and have never outlawed it, so federal law takes precedence, which allows open carry.  Of the red states, most of the ones in the South have the law on the books from the Civil War, and have just never bothered to repeal it.
Now why is it people are freaking out and demanding people should be arrested for following the law in those 43 states?  Is it, perhaps, that this lack of exposure to a piece of machinery is what fosters so much fear among people?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes

You know what else is legal in my state? Knives of ANY size, as long as they are in plain view on your person. So legally i could strap a razor sharp katana to my back,a hunting knife to my thigh,and a knife to my waist,and walk into a store. Do you think the cops would be called?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• good ole alabama, we don't give a shit
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• LOL! You know what's funny? Most of the red states are where most New Yorkers retire to. I wonder if the reason is that there are so many retired business men that had permits to carry because they transported a lot of cash to the bank each night. That's why my Dad had one. He never flung a rifle over his back to do it. It was always holstered inconspicuously. I'm in NY and the only time you would notice a gun displayed for all to see is by the Military at Penn Station.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• we just passed it b/c someone realized that we werent open carry like most other red states so it had to be made into law...thats how Oklahoma makes laws. im kinda surprised that Texas and Arkansas arent open carry.

i get open carry handguns, they are in a holster, they usually have that button flap over them, some ppl need to it feel safe b/c they see bad things everywhere or something, i dunno. in OK you cant take them into schools, bars, colleges, or govt buildings, so thats good imo. i also like that you have to get a permit for it...it helps distinguish illegal guns from legal ones. what i dont get is needing to take your rifle or shot gun to a store...ya gonna be hunting deer in the parking lot?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Yes. I think lack of exposure has something to do with it; the confusion on what an assault weapon actually is also contributes (but that might tie back into the lack of exposure thing.) But what do I know, I'm a 'hillbilly from hillbilly land'. ;)
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I live in Oregon, and in the rural areas of this state, people do carry guns frequently as a part of the culture. As long as it's not concealed, it's ok to carry. This also applies to your car. A lot of men in the rural areas have guns in the back windows of their pickup trucks. Thats also ok, but it's not ok to have a pistol in your glove box, for example. To do that, you have to have a permit.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I don't. Other than maybe not knowing its legal to carry a gun? Fear of death? But then what can you do without death being a possibility? Don't eat you might choke to death. Don't cross the street you might get ran over. Forget airplanes they crash. Swimming on a nice hot day... Nope you can drown. Your ganna die get over it. Some people snap and kill people that doesn't mean everyone who owns or carries a gun will go scar face and shot everything up.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 2:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• In OH you have to get your CCW license/permit if you want to carry. Concealed carry- not open carry. (If there's a difference)

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I do live in an open carry state. I do not like the idea of the people who are now carrying weapons just to make a statement, and I have mixed feelings on which is safer, a conceal carry or an open carry. I think that the same classes should be required for an open carry as they are to get a conceal carry permit, and that's not required here.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Yes I do :) and yes I am good with that. I think, as in all things, ignorance breeds fear.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 6:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2013