Frozen fruit.

Has anyone done this? I seen on pintrest you buy in season fruit then cut and freeze them. I've bought fruit from the frozen aisle but I don't like the taste when they thaw out. I'm just wondering how they taste later on?

skinnyslokita

Asked by skinnyslokita at 2:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I do strawberries when they are in season, cut and sprinkle with a little sugar to use in desserts throughout the winter. And I do bananas if they are starting to brown too much but I don't think anyone is going to eat them (to use in banana bread, they aren't good to eat straight after freezing). My mom and mil both freeze all kinds of fruit and veggies.

Answer by missanc at 2:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We freeze over-ripe bananas to use in smoothies. In fact, we eat all our non-ripe bananas before they get to that point, so I buy over-ripe bananas from our farmers market at a very deep discount (7lbs for $2) bring them home, peel, cut in half and freeze.
    We also freeze strawberries when I get them for super cheap in the summer. Then any large quantity of fruit from friends and neighbors fruit trees, we freeze and use in smoothies. We drink A LOT of fruit and veggie juices and use the frozen fruit with the fresh juice in the blender to chill.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Home frozen fruits usually don't have the "shape" that the ones in the store freezer section have but that's because they can flash freeze them. However I'm a firm believer in freezing fruits & veggies and a stuffed freezer. I think they have a much better taste because the majority of the time they are going into the freezer much sooner then they do from the store. I also think that they are somehow able to add water to the berries so that they weigh more. (Don't ask me how. It's just my conspiracy theory. LOL)
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Would regular ziplock baggies be fine?
    skinnyslokita

Comment by skinnyslokita (original poster) at 2:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I would use Freezer bags if you plan to keep them in there for more than maybe a week. It helps them not get freezer burn (that tastes bad, bleh!)
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 2:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Yeah - definitely need freezer bags for most foods. Bananas I just freeze as is in the peel, no bag.

Answer by missanc at 2:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• All the time BUT not for eating "fresh" later - grapes we eat frozen, apples get sauced or pied, and pretty much all other fruits get jammed/jellied or put in smoothies or baked with later. Or eaten frozen. We don't thaw and eat any fruit.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 3:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• To me strawberries and blueberries taste okay - everything else not really. Oh I just read Idareyou frozen grapes are yummy.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I don't like frozen fruits.
    kity-bity

Answer by kity-bity at 11:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2013