Why do you have a handgun?

Do you live in a bad area? Were you attacked in the past? Do you have one for a "just in case scenario"?
There is someone from my past that if he ever showed back up in my city,I'd get a gun for protection in a heartbeat. And I wouldn't think twice about blowing his ass away.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• to shoot someone if they enter this house
    i would have to assume they were here to harm me or my family
    and i would shoot them dead

* note to all
    please ring the doorbell and wait for me to open it for you
    Anonymous

• home defense. my husband works grave yard shift and im pretty alone with the kids at night. my roommate is home, but i still feel safer. it is always locked and the magazine stored separately and my kids do not know where i keep it. i live in an air force town, a little offshoot of the main town off base but you never know.
    Fushithedruid

Answer by Fushithedruid at 9:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I get irritated by our government's lame expensive remedies to things. I don't have a gun, don't need one. I have a heavy handled hammer. Anyone breaking into my house better have a thick helmet on. They need to focus more on school security instead of gun regulations they can't enforce, and I don't mean by posting armed guards at the front door, or principles and teachers carrying guns around the schools. They would be the first persons picked off by a perpetrator. Our airports are more secure than our schools are. They need to build high brick walls around the schools with one gate in/out that has a metal detector, electric eye, is monitored in the school. If a perp walks through the gate with a weapon, it sets off loud alarms, school auto locks down, police are automatincally alerted, and the camera snapps a picture of the perp before he could harm anyone. The alarms would scare the hell out of him, and he'd run away.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• We don't have a handgun, we have a shotgun. It's a Mossberg 500 Persuader, and I know how to use it. No, we don't live in a bad area, we live in the country, and I'm home with 3 kids, and Hubby is away a month at a time. We also have 2 large dogs, 3 when Hubby's home. There are known meth addicts, in the area, and we want to be protected.
    First our 100lb German Shepherd will be there if someone unwanted tries to get in, and I'll be right behind him with a gun in my hands. Sorry, I'm not leaving it up to the authorities to take care of the bad guys, when we live 20-30 minutes from help getting here.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• It is just my son and I. We don't live in a bad area but we are in a rural area and the cops aren't going to get here before something bad happens. I have been through enough crap in my life that I will protect myself and my son if need be.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I don't have one yet but my mother has a handgun and has a rifle and she is thinking about getting another one. I want to take a safety class and I don't I will purchase now but in the future it is something I always wanted. I use to go shooting with my mom when younger and no need a reason to own a gun because it's our rights to own a gun for recreation or to protection. I would get it for protection considering I am a single mother with a small child living no where near my family. New area not sure the response rate her and truthfully when you are in a emergency situation it's better have protection just in case.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I have one to protect my family, have never had to use it, but it is nice to know it is there if I ever need it....I live in a very Ritzy residential area, with little to no crime, but you never know.....

Answer by older at 10:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• "No, I don't have a gun since I am not a member of a Militia. and you aren't either....."Answer by lga1965 How in the hell do you know whether not I am or anyone else on here is? The term militia can be used to describe any number of groups within the US! For example our National Guard, then there there is the naval militia. In Michigan we have the 'Michigan Militia'. It a bunch of nutballs running loose shooting the unarmed nut balls and itching for a conflict. A guy by the Norman Olson, a former U.S. Air Force non-commissioned officer, of Alanson, Michigan,.found this militia. But everytime the term militia they think about this, "bodied men who are not eligible for inclusion in the reserve militia pool are those aliens not having declared their intent to become citizens of the United States" A few of those sometimes be seen as folks who are a few donuts shy of a dozen.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• No, I don't have a gun since I am not a member of a Militia. and you aren't either.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 1:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Yes, I own well my DH owns several, I have 1 glock .40 cal...so much fun to shoot! My DH is a gunsmith and firearm instructor, and I live
    in what the FBI is calling "one of the most dangerous cities in the nation" again. Flint is actually only has a median income of $27,049—a whopping 46 percent below the national average—and 36 percent of its population living below the poverty line. And GM AGAIN has shut down another plant. Fuckers
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:56 AM on Jan. 19, 2013