Why do you have a handgun?

Do you live in a bad area? Were you attacked in the past? Do you have one for a "just in case scenario"?
There is someone from my past that if he ever showed back up in my city,I'd get a gun for protection in a heartbeat. And I wouldn't think twice about blowing his ass away.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• to shoot someone if they enter this house
    i would have to assume they were here to harm me or my family
    and i would shoot them dead

* note to all
    please ring the doorbell and wait for me to open it for you
    Anonymous

• Don't have a gun
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 2:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I dont have a handgun but I plan on getting one as soon as I go through the safety classes. I dont live in a bad neighborhood but the city I live in has a really bad rap sheet. I've been attacked in the past. I have never wanted a gun until the colorado theater shooting.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I dont own one presently, although there was a time when I had a peeping tom who creeped me out, and I borrowed one of my dad's handguns for the extra security. Then I got a very large, very protective dog, and figured that was even safer yet, and gave the gun back to my dad. I have been around guns my whole life, and target practiced with enough handguns, I knew what I was doing with the one I borrowed, btw.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I do not have one. My mother recently got her concealed carry permit and bought a handgun. She lives about 25 miles away from the closest law enforcement department. She lives near heavily wooded areas where it's not uncommon to find yourself staring down a bear. Not to mention that she lives in a new neighborhood that consists mostly of lots that haven't been sold or built on, thus resulting in a great place for privacy if you need a place to conduct drug business. No less than 10 times a day (worse in the summer) drug dealers are driving up on the hill to sell their shit. She took gun safety classes and fulfilled all of the requirements to follow the law. I would hate for her to have to depend on law enforcement to drive 25 miles to respond to her needs.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I have several, I like shooting. Also had bad shit happen in my past ( you can message me for that ), my area is great actually but I'm home alone with my kids a good portion of the year.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I enjoy shooting, a lot of my guns have been handed down for generations. I've been shooting since I was about 5 and its something I enjoy. I hunt with my guns and I have some which I carry with me at all times strictly for personal protection.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 2:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• haha i was just about to ask a similar question, just to see why ppl's opinions are the way they are.

DH owns a handgun. his dad bought it for him one year for Christmas. its strictly a toy, something for fun. it stays locked up when he's not at the gun range so it would be useless in a "just in case" scenario. we live in a safe suburban area and dont fear for our lives, so no point in owning anything more. its super fun to shoot tho!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• It's my constitutional right as an American Citizen, and I enjoy shooting (target & hunting).
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Right now I do not have a gun. But plan on buying one this year. No do not live in a bad area. Just think it is time to buy one. Not getting any younger. do not think I can physically protect myself anymore. But a gun can.

Answer by louise2 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2013