Why do you have a handgun?

Do you live in a bad area? Were you attacked in the past? Do you have one for a "just in case scenario"?
There is someone from my past that if he ever showed back up in my city,I'd get a gun for protection in a heartbeat. And I wouldn't think twice about blowing his ass away.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Constitutional right and personal protection, crime happens even in nice areas, nothing ever happened but if it did, we'd be prepared
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I have a handgun just in case. I live on the edge of Las Vegas, and although it's a nice neighborhood, it's still the city, and you never know. My husband was attacked at work last year and I was very worried that the three losers who tried (note I said tried, as they got the bad end of that fight) would show up at our house. We already owned our gun by then, and I was glad to have it. Hopefully I won't ever need it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Yes, I own guns. I used to target shoot and have them for protection as well. I live in a nice area, but crime happens everywhere.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• i carry one with me where ever i go. i don't trust people i don't know and i'll blast someone in the face if they fuck with me or my kids
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• "No, I don't have a gun since I am not a member of a Militia. and you aren't either....."Answer by lga1965 How in the hell do you know whether not I am or anyone else on here is? The term militia can be used to describe any number of groups within the US! For example our National Guard, then there there is the naval militia. In Michigan we have the 'Michigan Militia'. It a bunch of nutballs running loose shooting the unarmed nut balls and itching for a conflict. A guy by the Norman Olson, a former U.S. Air Force non-commissioned officer, of Alanson, Michigan,.found this militia. But everytime the term militia they think about this, "bodied men who are not eligible for inclusion in the reserve militia pool are those aliens not having declared their intent to become citizens of the United States" A few of those sometimes be seen as folks who are a few donuts shy of a dozen.

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:41 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I dont own one presently, although there was a time when I had a peeping tom who creeped me out, and I borrowed one of my dad's handguns for the extra security. Then I got a very large, very protective dog, and figured that was even safer yet, and gave the gun back to my dad. I have been around guns my whole life, and target practiced with enough handguns, I knew what I was doing with the one I borrowed, btw.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• haha i was just about to ask a similar question, just to see why ppl's opinions are the way they are.

DH owns a handgun. his dad bought it for him one year for Christmas. its strictly a toy, something for fun. it stays locked up when he's not at the gun range so it would be useless in a "just in case" scenario. we live in a safe suburban area and dont fear for our lives, so no point in owning anything more. its super fun to shoot tho!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Right now I do not have a gun. But plan on buying one this year. No do not live in a bad area. Just think it is time to buy one. Not getting any younger. do not think I can physically protect myself anymore. But a gun can.

Answer by louise2 at 3:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• handgun yes - for just in case senerio - Personal Protection!!
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 3:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Don't have any guns.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 3:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2013