Why do you have a handgun?

Do you live in a bad area? Were you attacked in the past? Do you have one for a "just in case scenario"?
There is someone from my past that if he ever showed back up in my city,I'd get a gun for protection in a heartbeat. And I wouldn't think twice about blowing his ass away.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I have one to protect my family, have never had to use it, but it is nice to know it is there if I ever need it....I live in a very Ritzy residential area, with little to no crime, but you never know.....

Answer by older at 10:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I don't have one yet but my mother has a handgun and has a rifle and she is thinking about getting another one. I want to take a safety class and I don't I will purchase now but in the future it is something I always wanted. I use to go shooting with my mom when younger and no need a reason to own a gun because it's our rights to own a gun for recreation or to protection. I would get it for protection considering I am a single mother with a small child living no where near my family. New area not sure the response rate her and truthfully when you are in a emergency situation it's better have protection just in case.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• It is just my son and I. We don't live in a bad area but we are in a rural area and the cops aren't going to get here before something bad happens. I have been through enough crap in my life that I will protect myself and my son if need be.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 5:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• We don't have a handgun, we have a shotgun. It's a Mossberg 500 Persuader, and I know how to use it. No, we don't live in a bad area, we live in the country, and I'm home with 3 kids, and Hubby is away a month at a time. We also have 2 large dogs, 3 when Hubby's home. There are known meth addicts, in the area, and we want to be protected.
    First our 100lb German Shepherd will be there if someone unwanted tries to get in, and I'll be right behind him with a gun in my hands. Sorry, I'm not leaving it up to the authorities to take care of the bad guys, when we live 20-30 minutes from help getting here.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I get irritated by our government's lame expensive remedies to things. I don't have a gun, don't need one. I have a heavy handled hammer. Anyone breaking into my house better have a thick helmet on. They need to focus more on school security instead of gun regulations they can't enforce, and I don't mean by posting armed guards at the front door, or principles and teachers carrying guns around the schools. They would be the first persons picked off by a perpetrator. Our airports are more secure than our schools are. They need to build high brick walls around the schools with one gate in/out that has a metal detector, electric eye, is monitored in the school. If a perp walks through the gate with a weapon, it sets off loud alarms, school auto locks down, police are automatincally alerted, and the camera snapps a picture of the perp before he could harm anyone. The alarms would scare the hell out of him, and he'd run away.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 11:41 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• home defense. my husband works grave yard shift and im pretty alone with the kids at night. my roommate is home, but i still feel safer. it is always locked and the magazine stored separately and my kids do not know where i keep it. i live in an air force town, a little offshoot of the main town off base but you never know.
    Fushithedruid

Answer by Fushithedruid at 9:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2013