How can I keep my puppy smelling better for longer after her baths?

She doesn't go outside, she's clean as far as her bathroom habits, she's fully potty trained. 2-3 days after a bath she starts stinking and it just gets worse. She's not having an accident in her bed or anything. I've been trying to hold out for once a week baths, but it's hard - and even weekly is drying out her poor skin, even using the smallest amount of shampoo that is supposed to be about the gentlest there is.

idareyou

Asked by idareyou at 3:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Pets

• What kind of puppy?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• How old, and is she spayed? Anal glands is what I am thinking, a dog groomer can do it for you, take her there for your next bath time!
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 3:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• get dry shampoo spray!!! i get it at walmart - the one we got smells like raspberries!!
    futurebabykar

Answer by futurebabykar at 4:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Chiweenie. She'll be 16 weeks on Monday (or 15 - I can't remember exactly). Not spayed yet since she's so young and still too small anyway. Not her anal glands - the vet checked them last week and said she's not having issues with them (yet). I've looked at the dry spray but afraid to use it on her since she's so small & young yet (and likes to lick & chew on herself - don't need her ingesting it!).
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• does she just smell like dog or does she stink like something else?
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Pretty much just dog. Strong dog.
    idareyou

Comment by idareyou (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Why isn't she going outside? You say she is potty trained. Does that include peeing/pooping in an area of your house. I say take the dog outside and let her "air out".
    AliKatAK47

Answer by AliKatAK47 at 9:23 AM on Jan. 20, 2013

• How warm is it in your home? How active is she?
    What breed and if she is a mutt do the bess you can ?
    What are you feeding, treating her?
    Do you brush her?
    Where does she sleep?

For the dy skin part I would suggest Nature's Miracle
    Ultra grooming spray which helps to hydrate dry skin and not bather her more than once a week.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• That smell is going to follow her through life. If your breed has fur instead of hair (poodles and lhasa's and a few others have hair instead of fur - they don't shed), then your dog will smell like dog. Washing helps, but it's a very temporary fix (as you are experiencing). I'm guessing because she's small and part chihuahua and weiner dog that she's very active - which makes her more dog smelling. The only thing you can do is get some dry wash wipes and deodorizing spray and just get used to it
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Look at what you are feeding her. If it is loaded with corn and byproducts, most likely that is why she smells. Dogs should not smell bad if they are fed a high quality food (and kept clean, of course). Is the smell coming from her body (over-production of yeast; stems back to poor diet) or from somewhere else (ears, mouth, privates)? Smelly ears or privates could be infection (smelly "bottom" could be anal glands). Bad breath could mean gum disease/infection or something stuck in the teeth.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 3:21 PM on Jan. 22, 2013