Just got this email....local middle school and guns found ... lovely!!

From: Dr. XXXX. XXXXX, District Administrator

School District of XXXXXXX

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: January 18, 2013

Late last evening XXXXX school officials learned of an incident potentially involving weapons (ultimately determined to be an unloaded BB gun and pellet gun) and several students at the XXXXX Middle School. Upon learning of the situation, school officials responded immediately and were in contact with the XXXX Police throughout the evening as they conducted their investigation. Around midnight, the District was informed that the BB and pellet gun had been confiscated and the threat had been mitigated. Working in conjunction with the police, it was determined that XXXXX Schools were safe for student and staff attendance today.

While this continues to be an active investigation both for the police and for the School District, appropriate student disciplinary action is occurring according to School Board policy to ensure student safety.

Please be assured that the safety of your children and our schools is of utmost priority.

fiatpax

Asked by fiatpax at 3:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• its everywhere right now, EVERY single time there is a huge shooting that is plastered all over, the kids think HEY I can be on tv or get that attention and BAM there ya go. It sucks to no avail but I still believe in guns.

there was a mom who used her sons backpack, had guns in it- says she forgot and id took them to school...kid in now with CPS as more guns and weed were found in the home.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 3:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Odd how that works. Guy I went to school with brought a real gun to school, not with the intention of shooting anyone or doing anything horrible - it was in his bag and he forgot about it. Police were called, his parents were called, he got suspended and a nice public shaming from his mother. No letters went home. No parents were called. No panic ensued. Parents found out from their kids who were there when it happened or who knew him and got to hear his acct first hand. Nobody freaked out and called the school board or the press.

So in this situation, I have to wonder - what purpose has been served by telling all the parents about a gun (not even real guns, but pellet guns) that is no longer in the school and no longer in possession of the student? Aside from creating more paranoia, that is.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I agree with luv. I mean, kids see this, they see the media attention it's getting.... What do we really expect? Guns have always been around, they always will be... it's still NOT the underlying issue.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I would be on edge, but at least it was handled & they kept parents informed & the students safe. Unfortunately, you have kids who will continue to do stupid things & parents/guardians who are not responsible about locking their guns up. Glad it all turned out OK

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• oh this doesnt worry me about sending me kids to school.....
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• people who are irresponsible enough to forget where their guns are shouldn't have them. we get letters about lice and west nile, but other issues of safety and wellbeing are off limits? I would rather be able to discuss with my children according to my values and their emotional needs than deal with backlash from rumors. all parents need to know... I live in texas where my mother recently reminded me I.will need to ask other parents about guns in the house and what safety measures they take when my toddler is old enough to visit their homes.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2013