Do you have a mutual bank account with your husband?

Or do you have you own accounts? Or do you have both?

We have separate accounts but to some that sounds crazy, although we are not married yet, but I think it's time we have that mentality of what's mine is yours...

So how are your funds set up and what advice would you give to newly weds, or those planning on getting married?

We also plan on going to premarital classes but I have not found a place I like yet, so that's still pending.
Thanks

lizzybee44

Asked by lizzybee44 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Relationships

• We have both, so I can keep my business finances separate.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Both.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We have joint checking and savings, and then I have a checking (child support is deposited) and savings (inheritance). Our household bills and most things for the kids are paid out of the joint account, some things for the kids are paid out of the child support. Before we were married the only thing we had jointly was a savings account where we deposited equal amounts monthly towards the down payment for the house we bought. I don't think it's actually very wise to commingle funds before the marriage takes place.

Answer by missanc at 4:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We have joint checking & savings. It's necessary for us to pool our resources.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• For a long time we just had a joint account. But my DH is a spender. I could never save any money. Because the of him spending all our extra money. So a couple of years ago I started working part time. I told him straight out I was opening my own account with out him on it. Because that would be the only way I could save any money. If he can't get to it.
    So we have our account, we pay the bills out of. And my account, he can't get to.

Answer by louise2 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We both have saving accounts but our checking is mutual. We pay bills and all that with mutual. Ithe best advice is what works for you. Would you like all things joined or have some joined some separate, or all separate. Do what makes you feel comfortable.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I would not suggest joint until marriage. Could make things messy. All our accounts are joint except a savings my husband had before we were married. His mom is keeping a tight hold on that, but at this point it is kind of like a little safety net I don't even know exists. So, everything since we have been married has gone into a joint account.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 4:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• we have his- mine
    and savings. but we share the money
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We have a mutual one, and then I have a separate business account.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Separate. Not married. His paycheck goes in his account and I have. 27 cents in my bank.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2013