Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I live in california and do not work can my boyfriend claim me on his taxes?

We have 2 young kids together.

Answer Question

Asked by dandydanielle at 6:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Money & Work

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • you? NO your kids? Yes

    Answer by LostSoul88 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

  • Get married and he can.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

  • Yes, if he files Head of Household. You won't be a true dependent (like the kids) but, he can claim you in a sense.

    Answer by 3libras at 6:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

  • Your SO files as head of household and claims you as a dependent

    How to file.   If you file as head of household, you can use either Form 1040A or Form 1040. Indicate your choice of this filing status by checking the box on line 4 of either form. Use the Head of a household column of the Tax Table or Section D of the Tax Computation Worksheet to figure your tax.


    Answer by feralxat at 6:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

  • I would talk to an accountant. The year I filed head of household instead of single, I got way less back in taxes! If you use turbo tax or other online service, you can figure your taxes out several different ways before filing to see which way gives you the most back.

    Answer by missanc at 6:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

  • Are you getting any kind of PA? If you are then he shouldn't or that will come to a very fast end. If not, feral is correct, but if you all got married it would make it much easier!

    Answer by jerseydiva at 7:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

  • I agree with LostSoul88 ^

    Answer by tasches at 8:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

  • I believe so, but you need to discuss this with an accountant. I over heard a girl a work telling everyone how to screw over the government by listing those who do not file as dependents on her tax return (mind you, she was all of 21).... but you get the story.....

    Answer by m-avi at 8:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

  • Call an accountant or an H & R Block type of place.

    Answer by booklover545 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.