One child rule?

I don't know if that is the Law still in China or not. That each couple was allowed one child because of over population.

Do you think that Law would work here in America.

Asked by louise2 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• The way it works in china is you have to pay for your children basically. There is a one child rule but if you want more you have to buy their citizenship. That would never work here. Our laws would never allow it- nor would the people.
    Anonymous

• would it work here? no. too many of us women care about this thing called rights & most of us dont want the government anywhere near our uterus
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Some form of the policy is still in effect in China. I shudder to think anyone would want anything remotely similar to work in America. I can see tubal's being *offered* to women as an option, but we do not, and should not, practice involuntary sterilization on our citizens. That being said, I do get frustrated when women purposely have babies and plan to raise them on welfare and food stamps, or when women se no reason to work when they can be paid for having babies instead--and yes, I do know a few who have said that, or when women who are on the programs have more children they can't afford. I don't see an easy answer, though, because if you say that there will be no extra money given out for more children born after a woman is on welfare, as some states have done, it penalizes any children who happen to be born in that unfortunate circumstance.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 8:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Sure, as long as families with more than one were grandfathered in lol
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 7:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I believe it's still in effect.

But, no I can't possibly see it going over in the US. Though I was actually thinking earlier today that no one really needs to have more than 2 or 3 children.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 7:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Though I was actually thinking earlier today that no one really needs to have more than 2 or 3 children.

And no one really needs a million dollar home or a 50,000 dollar car, or a 400 pair of pants or...
    Truth be told no one Needs even one child
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Sure, which two should I get rid of.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I do think over population is going to be a major problem with resources becoming limited. I support reproductive choice but I would hope families would make ethical and good choices. Which I know is not always how it will play out. So for me I am at odds with two very important issues: the freedom over personal reproductive choice and the responsibility to this planet.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I think it is silly, but what I do think that the offer should be made to give a woman free tubal if she desires to have one, after the birth of her first baby, I know it is impossible to mandate, but there should be some kind of system set up that if you have baby after baby and are on welfare, it should penalize the MOTHER, not the children.
    True story, when my husband was doing his internship at a hospital, there were 6 different men in the lobby for the same woman having the child, she already had 4 and had listed the father as UNKNOWN. Makes a great Maury episode, but it makes a very sad childhood for the kids involved in it.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I think if you and you can afford them, you should have as many as you would like, I come from a small family and wished for lots of brothers and sisters, My mom has tons of siblings and they are now her support/friends, but they have always been close to one another, the problem I have is paying for more babies for someone who doesn't care about the children they have already.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 7:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2013