Help with suddenly having four kids

My sister has two kids with a deadbeat pos. He abandoned her and the children. She has been unable to afford child care. She was in a position where she had to find a sitter or quit her job. I am the only one who can help her. We decided she needed to move to third shift. So I can help her with the kids.I am a working mother myself. I have a 7yr old and a 4 ye old. My 4 ye old is autistic. Now I have a 5 month old and a 3 ye old to juggle from 3:30pm to 9:30am. I am feeling really overwhelmed . The baby is teething and cries constantly. Unless I hold her. My 4 ye old doesn't do well with the loud noise and cries constantly. He doesn't understand that I can't hold him while holding the baby. The other two get my attention when I can give it. I need some help or advice. How do you moms with 4 kids. Do it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• Posting from my phone. Please excuse the errors.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Can you get the 7 year old to help with your 4 year old. Most people with 4 kids gradually got use to it. One child at a time. And each child gradually got use to the other child. Not a all of a sudden thing like this you have going.

Answer by louise2 at 8:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• get a baby wrap or carrier. that way baby gets what they want and your hands are free to deal with the other kids
    they do make teething drops or if you want to go natural you can put clove on the gums (google it- straight clove oil can burn)

DHS does offer aid for daycare, that may be an option- you could also get licensed and receive some compensation. look into the rules for your area

feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I agree a front carrier/sling for the baby could make all the difference in the world. Hylands makes a teething tablet that is supposed to work wonders.
    I don't know where you son is on the Autism spectrum but you may e able to try books about babies or picture social stories with him to help him start to understand that having a baby in the house will make things a little different. You may also be able to talk to his support team at school ( assuming he is in school) or therapist and see if they have any other ideas.
    Your seven year old may be able to help you some with the preschoolers by including them in games or starting a movie for you. He may also be able to help you with little things like setting the table or keeping an eye on the baby in a swing or playpen so you can help the preschoolers.
    Getting the other kids used to you and your rules and dealing with the teething will be the big hurdles I think.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Orajel for the baby. I think it is great you are helping your sister. I only have one child so I am no help. Here is a bump.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 19, 2013