Do you do your child's homework?

I remember when my daughter was in 2nd grade there were several parents who did their projects for them. It was very obvious. Many of the moms freely admitted it.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I've always made sure they do the majority of the assignment themselves. They have to do as much as they can on their own, before asking for help. I will help them look things up & take them to the library, and of course I will proofread to help in the editing process. In fact, my middle son who is in college will still have me proofread for him from time to time. As others have mentioned, it's so important for them to earn their way & enjoy the rewards of their own accomplishments. That is diminished if it isn't entirely their accomplishment.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I offer more help to my DS than I would my DD because he has many delays but I stand back as much as possible. They have to do it themselves to really learn it and not to mention be proud of what they accomplished!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We do some projects together if the Teacher says it's okay, otherwise if it's something they're supposed to do on their own, they do it. I will look stuff up, make copies off the computer for research etc, but I won't do it for them. I think that sitting with them, and giving them pointers is okay too, as long as you're teaching them, and not actually doing the work for them.
    Our boys love it when I help, because they like the one on one time.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We help, but don't do the work for them. I will glue papers on presentation boards, and take dictation for my 2nd grader.

My youngest had a "wax museum" project due in Dec. They had to research a famous person and become that person. They set up in the gym and we all pushed buttons and the wax figures came alive to tell us about their people. Some of the kids had iPad and computer presentations as well. No way they did them on their own. Way to go mom and dad!
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I will help with projects, but she has to do most of the work. If she needs help I will.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 11:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• We haven't had to do any projects yet. He does his homework and then I check it and he fixes his mistakes. I don't do it for him. I will help when he needs it.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:49 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• No, but we do brainstorm ideas for projects at the supper table as we're just talking about stuff that comes up. With homework I help explain stuff if needed, but don't do it for them.

Answer by missanc at 9:50 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Well, he's 4, so I do write everything down but I do the activities with him.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• No, although in third and fourth grade my son was assigned projects that there was no way the kids could have done on their own. We signed something a month in advance acknowledging that the kids wouldn't be able to do these things on their own, and that we would have to do some of the work.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• I help him but he does it all on his own
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2013