School eliminating grade-levels - Comments?

I came acrossed an article about a school in Colorado that, beginning in the fall of 2010, will group their students by ability instead of grade level.

I think this is an intersting idea, what do you think?

Dyndudes

Asked by Dyndudes at 5:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• oh yea I heard of this...its one of those things where everyone gets a trophy even the losers.
    Anonymous

• No, actually it's one of those things where kids are taught at a level appropriate for each of them as an individual. I think it's great as long as they appropriately address the social impact of mixing different age groups.
    Anonymous

• omg its BS, there is a standard people are EXPECTED to meet, you can't keep giving kids special treatment for whatever! How will they become productive hardworking members of society??
    Anonymous

• I agree, that sounds ridiculous to me
    Anonymous

• I think you are misunderstanding...........

The kids must show mastery of the subject before they move forward. Children who learn quickly in certain subjects can advance, children who need more time to are able to repeat the lesson.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 5:21 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• A school my daughter attended did something like that. All the kids were being taught at the level of their abilities. In a regular school setting, is very difficult for a student to catch up once they fall behind. She had issues in some areas. She improved greatly by being in an alternative setting. I wish the school district we moved to had offered this alternative.

Standard classrooms don't work for every student. I think it's great that the educational system is recognizing this and trying alternative teaching settings.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_11280071

Here's the article. I guess I should have included that earlier.
    Dyndudes

Answer by Dyndudes at 5:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I guess as long as the ones behind will be held to the same standards.Like no teachers of these alternative classes just giving them a pass which DOES go on.
    Anonymous

• The article says the student must receive a "B" under normal grading requirements before advancing to the next level. That doesn't sound like a free pass. My son might be in English forever!
    Anonymous

• Alright,all I am saying is this alternative approach is already done in some states and there are teachers who have let students through when they really have not achieved.So many schools have this "oh no don't them back a grade" attitude.Stating that it will basically hurt and discourage them more.I have heard school staff say these things to parents questioning weather to hold their child back or not.

If this will be different and reward those who really are moving up then great.
    Anonymous