Would you take 3 kids to a parade by yourself?

today is our city's annual children's pirate parade. last year, i took my older two and my mom watched the youngest. my middle one didn't like the noise so much, but she's older now so she may enjoy it.

the thing is i'd have to take them by myself. my parents have plans today. i could go with other friends that are bringing their kids, but that still doesn't help my situation as far as having an extra pair of eyes on my children. they are 6, 4 & 3. im also not fond of crowds, like at all, but i know they would have a good time so id be willing to grin and bear it for a couple of hours if i thought it would be worth it. im just afraid because im only one person and its a crowd of about 10,000 people, they could get lost in an instant.

would you go?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• I would and I have. I don't like crowds and I have dealt with anxiety issues all my life. I do not like new situations at all. But my children enjoy parades and I don't always have someone to help me out. My children are now 17,14 and 12, but when they were younger, I did take them to parades and such all by myself. It was fine. Just like it will be fine for you.
    The oldest can help. Everyone holds hands and stays together. It will be just fine. Lots of people do it. Your kids will enjoy it.
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 9:33 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I would. You hold the hands of your 3 & 4 year old, have the 6 year old hold one of their other hands so that you all stay together. And in a situation like this, a little bribery for good behavior is okay. ;) I'd tell them something like that we'd get some ice cream or maybe eat out or some other special treat they don't often get, if they stick close, listen, pay attention, and behave. Usually works for my boys.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Probably not. If I did, I'd have the 3 & 4 year old in a stroller but I don't know if they could see the parade from that vantage since you said there are a lot of people. When there are that many people it isn't fun anyway. All the little ones can see is other peoples backsides :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• 3 kids-no way.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:15 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• paulie you have a point. unless you arrive 5 hours early, you wont get a spot up front and they'll be far out of reach of beads and from view.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I would. I have taken all 3 kids all sorts of places on my own. DH works a lot in the summer and if we want to go see something I have to be the one who takes them. The only place I drew the line for "on my own" was Disney. Now that I have 2 teens, I could even do that. One of them could watch the youngest while I went on a ride with another.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• 3 kids, sure. 3 kids those ages, no. If they were older, yes i would.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I would and have many times. Just be extra vigilant.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• 3 kids that young along. In a crouded situation like that. No I wouldn't. Unless I had the 2 youngest in a stroller.

Answer by louise2 at 12:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Would you be able to find a good parking spot and just stay in the car? I did this but I live in a small town. Otherwise you will need a double stroller. I have 5 boys, ages 15 months, 3 (4 in April), 7, 9, and 11. Sometimes my DH is available to help, sometimes not. I really just depends on the temperaments of the children. My older 3 are easier now and they help My 4th is an easy, very complacent, cooperative child, my 5th however, won't sit still, into everything, and afraid of nothing. If you go, tell them exactly what you expect before you get out there, the consequences of disobeying, and rewards for minding.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2013