Can you help? 49, and I was just diagnosed with cervical (neck) arthritis...

Xray and MRI showed bone spurs and some nerve compression at C5/6 and C6/7. with some cord flattening. I have constant pain and stiffness in neck shoulders , weakness and numbness in right arm/hand. I will be 50 this year. I think it is due to abnormal straightness of my neck vertebrae due to a car accident when I was 16 where i was the passenger, no seat belts, and my head hit and cracked the windshield. My neck is "military" according to a chiropractor I saw years ago.
I've been since, but no real relief. My GP rec'd I contacted a surgeon, which I've done ( a spine specialist), but wonder if anyone here has had any experience with this at all??
I am active, exercise and watch my weight and eat well, and don't want to be sidelined before my time.

dflygirl7

Asked by dflygirl7 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2013 in Health

• I would seek out another chiropractor. The technology and technique is constantly changing and improving. I've known too many people who were worse off after the surgery than before. It would be the absolutely last resort for me!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:06 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I don't have neck problems but do have spine problems, and I found PT to help. They may do some of the same things that a chiropractor does, plus exercises, stim, and so forth. There are also acupuncture and injections. I hope you get relief.

Answer by Bmat at 10:09 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• See I have some of those issues. I am the same age as you and I was also in a bad car accident at 15. I was thrown out of the back of a pickup truck. At that time, x-rays and things were not automatically given to an emergency patient. I'm sure it messed me up though.

If you have insurance, I would first get a professional medical diagnosis. I would also visit a chiropractor just to see what he says. Don't get treatment automatically, but find out what he thinks and how he would go about treatment. See what you believe in the most.

I'm sorry you are going through this.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:03 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Physical Therapy can help you... I saw great results with this Dx when I was working in the PT clinics
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:17 AM on Jan. 19, 2013