How long does it take to get over husband leaving?

How long on average does it take for the extreme pain to go away? How did you get through it if this happened to you? Is uncontrollable crying and feeling like you want to die normal? If it's someone you love and have been with for 12 years, almost spending everyday together, very close relationship.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 19, 2013 in Relationships

• There is no time limit. Sorry that's happening :(
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:38 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I am so sorry this is happening to you but there is always hope never loose that..go read Breaking up without breaking down.....

Answer by older at 10:43 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• It will ease away if you want to let it go but if you keep holding on it will prolong everything.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• You must be talking about him wanting a divorce? And it sounds like you did not want the divorce?
    Time, is the only thing that will help. And when you decide he is not worth crying and being depressed over.

Answer by louise2 at 12:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• If my husband left me, I would never get over it. I would try to live a productive life, but there would always be a hole in my heart!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 1:42 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I think time is the only thing that will mend a broken heart. I'm sorry.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I am so sorry that you are going through this. I've been through it twice and had children both times. It took me about a year to get over the greiving, but it did get easier as time went on. The best thing I found was to also keep busy. Get involved with groups; a favorite hobby you've always wanted to do but never did, fill up your time with positive things that make you feel good. There are plenty of fish in the sea, and you will find another down the line. The funny thing is; that when you do start seeing other men, your husband won't be to happy about that, and start to wonder if he made a big mistake in letting you go. Keep your chin up dear. It does get better, and you will be stronger in the end. No man is worth tearing your soul out for, just remember that. Take care of you.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 2:15 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• There is no right answer to this question. DH's ex wife STILL thinks he's coming back. She hasn't even dated in 10 years.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:17 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I am very sorry that you are hurting so bad! You will get through this!!!!!! How long has it been?

mlmsm928

Answer by mlmsm928 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I agree with the keep busy advise. I was in the middle of getting my masters degree when my SO of 20 years left me for his pregnant 24 year old secretary.  Between raising my 2 kids, who were 6 and 12 at the time, working, school, my mothers lung cancer, and my cancer,  I didn't have time to think about it during the day. I cried myself to sleep eveynight for almost a year. But I do think I would have fallen into a deep depression if I wasn't so busy. I literally had more important things to take care of, and couldn't allow myself to get depressed. Almost exactly one year from the day he walked out, life started getting better. I got my masters, My mom was cancer free, I was cancer free, and I realised I was a very strong woman, and I was better off with that jack ass out of my life.  

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 5:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2013