Can someone explain to me the football player's fake girlfriend hoax?

During the week, I don't get to read/watch the news much, so I try to catch up with certain things on the weekend. Normally I don't follow anything football related but my co-workers keep talking about the fake girlfriend hoax. I read an article about it on yahoo and I am more confused now than before I read it. Anyways, can someone give me the gist of what is going on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Jan. 19, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I don't get it either, like he had an online girlfriend that turned out fake like the new MTV show Catfish?
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:50 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I'm trying to figure out how to word this because it's the strangest damn thing anyone has ever heard.
    Manti Teo, football player for Notre Dame, was introduced to a woman on-line. He would have many on-line chats with her and nothing more. He would talk about her to friends like she were his gf.
    Eventually she, fake gf told him she had leukemia. On the same day that Notre Dame beat Michigan, Teo got word that his grandmother died as well as his gf. Grandmother did pass away.
    Once the news broke that Teo had this virtual gf that died, media had a field day with it, trying to figure out who she was. His friend confessed to setting him up with a girl to chat with on line, and would often laugh about Teo taking her so seriously. Some speculate was he trying to highlight his status to become the next Heisman trophy winner.
    He was duped by his friend and it spiraled out of control.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Quite a friend he had, huh.

He's not too bright either if you ask me.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Wow!

Thanks for explaining that to me.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• wow that sucks!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Oh good, you understood, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• so...why does the whole country care so much? i mean, its everywhere...more so than Lance Armstrong's admission.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:01 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Because it's a media frenzy okmanders.

People really don't care but the media feels we should.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I was about to ask the same question.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 1:11 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

Because he won every college football award available to him this year...except the Heisman. He is supposed to be the next NFL superstar - one of the ones everyone knows his name no matter what team he plays for. This puts a serious wrench in his publicity machine.

And if you think you guys are sick of hearing it, try living next to the dome...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:58 PM on Jan. 19, 2013