What age do you let your child play outside without supervision?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Jan. 19, 2013 in General Parenting

• LOL, totally NEVER without any supervision. When my kids were teens running up and down the block with the others, I still knew where and what they were doing.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:51 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• knowing where they are and what they're doing isn't the same thing as supervising (watching) them. thats what im referring to. when do you let them play outside without physically watching them?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:52 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• My oldest is 6 and is still supervised.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• When we had a fenced in back year? At 4. In an apartment? they can play in the court yard where I can see them form the window only if they are together and I am able to be in the living room to see them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• oh! They are 5 and 8 now.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:54 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• my oldest is 7 and sometimes i let her play out front with the other kids for about 30 minutes to an hour. she knows where the boundaries are and that if i come outside to call her name she should be able to hear me. the radius is about 3 houses each way. sometimes i worry about this decision so i dont know if im wrong or if its part of being a mom. i do randomly go out and check on her every so often, plus i can see them riding by on their bikes from my front door. when they dont ride by for a few minutes thats when i worry and go outside to check.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Mine is 7. If she is with friend(s), she will play unsupervised (out front of our house, never far). Otherwise, I'm with her.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Unsupervised? Not yet & my Son is 6. He doesn't want to be out alone without me and we have a fenced in yard & a gated in deck in a very nice neighborhood. He will take a walk out on the deck (deck gate is locked) to check the garden that we plant in pots on the deck in the summer as long as I'm in the kitchen but doesn't stay out alone for long & I'm always watching. You just never know!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:59 AM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I disagree. If you know where they are (i.e., the front yard, or the neighbor's yard), you still look out the door and you still sit outside while they are outside. The only time I couldn't see them is when they were inside a neighbor's house. I still consider all that supervised......
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:03 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Alone? Probably not until 8-9. My now 11 and 12 yo's are 18 months apart and were always together so they started playing outside without supervision at 6 and 7 - but they were within earshot. I could open my screen door out the back and listen for them.

Answer by missanc at 12:09 PM on Jan. 19, 2013