Do you have to wait for the school bus outside with a little one?

We pick up my Son off the bus at the corner. Two houses down. I have to bring my LO all bundled up in the stroller. We never know what time the bus will come. It can vary up to 1/2 an hour probably due to traffic. I can't always take the car & wait because my DH needs it for work & his car is a two seater. Do you wait in the cold?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 1:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Ours comes to our house. I leave a 15 min window because sometimes the driver is early / late,so yeah,we're out in the cold. I wish I had a screen in porch

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• We drive down to the bus stop.. about 3 blocks away.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 1:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• No - 2 older girls do have to wait outside at school for the bus but parents don't wait with them (they're watched from inside by teachers). Younger 2 are brought to school and go straight in.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:02 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• No, we only live 5 houses from the school.... my kids are "walkers"... so we drive them up & drop them off in the morning. Even with the crossing guard it's a little hairy crossing the main road at the end of our street. I pick them up after school b/c they go to an after school program for a half hour until I get out of work.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• My dds bus driver is really nice. She started this when my youngest was born last year. She said she hates to see me bringing out the baby in the cold every morning who is now 17 months. But my dd is the last one on the bus, but they for some reason turn up the next street. We were going at the corner two houses down. But the bus driver now pulls up our street in front of our house, but they arent really allowed to do this or they have to do it for everyone so she calls me if she isn't going to be at work that day. So I don't have to worry about getting the baby dressed and bundled or waking her if she isn't up. Plus my middle dd is in preschool her transportation van picks her up the same time so it works for me since I don't have to wake the baby and don't have to leave my oldest at the bus stop to run up to the house to put my other on the bus. It is a busy street so won't leave her even though I can . see her
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:22 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• No, thankfully I can drive them to and from school everyday. If I have an appointment, then our oldest takes them and picks them up. We have 4 vehicles, so thankfully I have access to one at all times.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Not with a little one, no. But we have to walk 4 blocks away to our bus stop.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 3:13 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Mine is a block from my house, she walks without me but with 4 other girls during winter. During warm weather I walk to her school to drop and pick her up.

When I was in third grade I got myself up got ready and walked down the street by myself. I'm not sure I'd let her we alone but because there is a group yeah.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 4:37 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Yes. Our house is second from the corner but we always go outside and wait when they are getting on the bus. That is usually when the parents all socialize and catch up with what is going on.

We recently found out that one people who moved in a house on our street a few months ago was arrested this week for not updating his address with the sex offender registry, had drugs on him and coerced a witness, so yeah, we all make sure there are parents around now. We were all so happy that we FINALLY got some good people moved into that house only to discover this :(
    CuriousArentYa

Answer by CuriousArentYa at 5:27 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• No I drive. That would be hard. It is so darn cold in them morning.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 19, 2013