Do new moms still do this? Or ar taught this?

I was taught/told the first 2 to 3 months of a child's life. the baby should not be around a lot of people. Stay in the house.  Because they have not immune system.  Only immediate family around.  Do parents still do this?

Asked by louise2 at 4:43 PM on Jan. 19, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies are born with an immune system.....they have antibodies from Mom and some of them last UPTO 6mos. Children don't have a true immune system until they are 2. They start building it when they are born.

That being said and having worked in a peds office I was told to keep her home for the first 6-8 weeks and if we go out make sure it is during the day and to keep her covered. My DD was born in the summer and we went out just a week after she was born and the middle of the day. I have a healthy child that has only ever been treated for one case of pink eye and a case of RSV. She is really healthy. I guess I will take it!!!
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:57 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• No,I was taught to have the baby around people, who are healthy,so they are exposed to germs. That's how you GET your immune system going

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:44 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Depends. Right now I wouldn't because it's flu season and there are loads of sick people running around. Mine were born in the summer, so I wasn't worried about that.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:52 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I was like that with my first child. I was a total germaphobe. I had alcohol hand sanitizer by the gallon. I made everyone wash extensively. If I could have erected a hazmat cleaning shower outside I would have! LOL! He didn't get sick until he was 18 months from a visit to toddler playtime at the library. When my Daughter was born, I was out within a few weeks. We went to the zoo, the aquarium etc. She got her first cold at 3 months from my Son who was attending Preschool at the time. Once you have an older sibling in school, you just can't keep the germs at bay. I still don't let her crawl on public floors or suck on the grocery cart handle! LOL GROSS!

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:53 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Oh, BTW, I had my Daughter last year & after she was born in the Hospital, the Nurse recommended my DH & I get a Whooping Cough vaccination Just in case. Pertussis is very prevalent lately. The Dr. also recommended that all family & friends who will come in contact with the new baby get the shot too. I know a girl who just had a baby recently & they told her the same thing. My DH & I got it for free at the Hospital.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• My mom is still like that with my daughter.. it's pretty ridiculous! I used to get sick all the time when I was little because I was not exposed to germs enough to build up my immunity.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 5:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• LOL, no. Although my in-laws in Turkey seriously believed this when their granddaughter was born. No kissing, no holding, no getting in the baby's face....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• the baby has an immune sysytem, and u can take them places if u want its up to the parent what they want for the first few months of its life and do parents do that some do and some dont
    babybump122

Answer by babybump122 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I was told prefer a couple weeks and that was 23 years ago, I didnt listen, kids were around peoplr from the get go way back when so I did what i was comfy doing...we only did family and close friends for 2 weeks then church and such
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 5:35 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• I took my kids everywhere from the get go, and my youngest is 10 now. Of course, they were all born in the summer (except one in early Oct). I would have been a little more cautious if it had been flu season, and made sure the people they were around weren't sick.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:57 PM on Jan. 19, 2013