Well this was not what I wanted to hear. How about you - anyone with a cough in your house?

Stock photo of a doctor listening to a patient cough. (©Cultura/Jason Butcher/Getty Images)

Your cough is going to last about 18 days no matter what you do

4 days ago

That lingering cough that just won’t go away? The one you only thought would last a week? There's a reason swigging Robitussin and sucking on Ricolas isn't helping. A new study reports that a cough sticks around for at least 18 days (and possibly more than three weeks) no matter how you try to “cure” it. The study found that antibiotics are useless against coughs because most coughs (about 90 percent of cases) are viral, not bacterial, so those meds you take aren’t going to stop your hacking. The problem is a large number of people still think antibiotics are helpful, which could lead to an increase in drug-resistant strains and other infections. [Source]

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 19, 2013 in Health

• DH and I are on week four but it's to the point where we don't need cough meds. Somehow I found this story comforting. Our awful hack is pretty standard. That's not so bad.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 10:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Mine lasted five weeks and a few days....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:32 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Bummer. Eighteen days. I gues a cough suppressant would mask the symptoms, not treat them.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:36 PM on Jan. 19, 2013

• Had it already. TWICE.
    First was Sept 16th, then again 3 days before Thanksgiving, and I coughed until last week.
    Every night I got in bed I coughed for almost an hour as stuff shifted around in my chest.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:49 AM on Jan. 20, 2013