All right, Momma Docs-specializing in L&D

Is it possible to hold a baby in for 50 mins?

In a situation like this:
Ten minutes later I felt the ire to push
She said for me to hang on 20 minutes... Well 40 minutes later I was crying out in pain with my legs crossed and baby on it's way

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 20, 2013 in Pregnancy

• aked doc friend this, he laughed and asked me what I was smoking......I then proceeded to tell him this tale and he basically laughed his way off the phone
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 2:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• A nurse wouldn't tell you to do this. First, it's impossible. Second, it's dangerous. Are you saying a nurse or doctor told you that?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Sorry it just sounded like she was exaggerating and whining about it all. There's probably no pleasing her, everything is "Wrong" from the "birthing plan" to how the hospital toilet paper is placed on the roll, to the fact they don't use brand name or that it's 2 ply.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• um well...if the baby is coming, it's coming nothing you can do to "hold it in"
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:57 AM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I wouldn't be surprised if the part about the doctor not being in there to check on her was true though, I would be avoiding her room as long as possible too, and the nurses are more than qualified to be able to check dilation.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Oooo, I just saw that. Yeah that was a little odd.

Plus nurses deliver babies all the time.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Also, birthing plans are a guideline, they aren't set in stone. Your birthing plan does not supersede standards of care and it sounds like she didn't understand that part.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 12:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• It's possible to not intentionally push the baby forth. If at any point they thought the baby was in distress they would have proceeded to have you push. They may have not felt it was urgent enough and considering you sticking adamantly to your birth plan the nurses wouldn't have wanted to take on the liability of any problems unless they had no choice. You are obviously unhappy and dissatisfied with the labor and delivery of your baby. Perhaps they thought you may present them with additional problems.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:15 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Oops, sorry OP. I thought you were the OP of the other questions.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:16 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• yeah, not buying into that one
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2013