transgender middle school kids?

My son and daughter were receintly taken along with the rest of the school to the gym where the prinicpal informed them that a transgender student was tranfuring to the school. They were told that "he" likes to be refured to as "SHE" and they were told no bullying, teasing, etc. Well today the kid came and of course the other kids teased so the office was full of kids getting in trouble. They had to make special rules for this child as well including this child has to use the faculty rest room to change for gym and to use the bathroom. I guess that keeps the most peace but my question is how do I explain these things to my kids? This is a boy dressing like a girl they don't get it. I don't know how to get them to get it.

babyfat5

Asked by babyfat5 at 5:41 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I would tell my child I don't get it either. And if people are different they are different. You don't have to understand people or agree with their way of thinking to be able to function as a civil human being. I would tell them to continue to live their life and let the other kid live theirs. I would also tell them that teasing anyone for anything to humiliate them is cruel and not acceptable. Leave them alone and carry on.
    Anonymous

• I would just explain to your children that they are some people that believe that they were born the wrong sex ie this kid thinks that he is a girl. Also explain that this kid deserves the same respect that any other child does as well as needs friends. I hope that helps a little.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• first of all-i think the school should have sent home a letter to all parents making them aware. these are middle school kids and transgender lifestyle isnt something that they are gonna understand. and kids make fun of stuff they dont understand. JMO
    tell them what you know. be honest with them and answer their questions. and explain to them that its not like a boy playing dress up in a girls outfit. etc etc. if you need to look up info on the internet. good luck :D
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 5:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yes and you might say that even though it seems very strange, it's much harder to be that child than others who are "normal." WOW, transgender in middle school. Tough.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Oh yeah the school should have sent home a letter! Maybe some information for the parents as well. They love to send home the pamphlets on "talking to your kids about drugs" and "teens and sex" I get them all the time now this one I could have actually used a pamphlet on and nothing. Just here is a transgender kid don't make fun of him/her. My son actually said "If he doesn't want to be made fun of don't wear a dress to school!" In a way he is right but on the other hand this kid does so he needs to deal with it and not laugh at him. What I'm saying just isn't getting across.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 6:00 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• 1. it was a good thing that the school did what they did with the kids, but it's sad that there are kids that are that cruel

2. I agree that a letter should have been sent home to all of the parents as a warrining, but in middles school wither it's unusual or not, these kids KNOW what is right or wrong when it comes to teasing and harrasing another person...

Tell your children that some people believe that they are not rightly born the sex that they were and feel that being the oppiste sex is right for them and that they SHOULD NOT tease or judge this child...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 6:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• that is a tough one i would look it up on line and see if maybe there is a site that explains it too children that young just let them know that they shouldn't make fun or judge someone just because of the way they choose too dress or be in life
    Anonymous

• Dateline did a special about transgendered kids not long ago I don't know if you can find it online, but it was very well done. Barbra Walters went and talked to the kids and they were saying how they felt and it dealt with them going to school too. It might help if your kids see from the other childs perspective why she feels like a girl in a boys body.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Yes, kids can be cruel. The best answer is KNOWLEDGE. Remember the line "Knowledge is Power" My oldest son who is now 18 spent his freshmen year in high school wearing skirts until he figured who he was for himself. My children are 18, 16, 9, and 6. I have taught them all that we are not here to judge other people, everyone is an individual and what you see on the outside is just a shell, the real person is inside. If we wre blind, we would not know the difference. Just Educate and inform, and hope our children understand.
    fragglemom

Answer by fragglemom at 7:30 AM on Feb. 14, 2009