Going to my MIL's wake tonight and funeral tomorrow at her strict church. How do we deal with seeing a huge number of people, many of whom I won't even know?

There will be 100's of people attending this...her entire congregation, of which is very restrictive (no music, dancing, drinking, no makeup or haircut/color or pants for women...you get it), so this will take hours. There are 5 kids, plus the spouses (I don't know if children stand in the receiving line...?) and at least 2 of them (my husband's sisters) will yakkkety yak without regard to how they are holding up the line. That's is what happened at my father in law's funeral anyway...most distressing, since I had people literally stuck standing in front of me who I didn't even know.
Thoughts? Tips?

dflygirl7

Asked by dflygirl7 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• Just go with the flow & it will all be over soon. I know of no religion (except perhaps Orthodox Jewish) that doesn't allow makeup, just curious? I am no expert though.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:18 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Just be polite and try to tend to the closer relatives of your MIL to make sure they are ok. I find helping the ones who are a little more shattered helps me get through it. Get them water, tissues, etc. If you're stuck in the reception line just politely shake hands and nod a lot. Sorry for your loss.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• If you don't want to get stuck in the line, offer to tend kids.
    The little buggers never know what to do with themselves and their parents are so distracted.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Simply keep your mind on why you are there. Take their condolences and thank them.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 3:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• ^^^what Dardenella said
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• In what way is this event about YOU?
    What does it matter how long it takes? It means your MIL was a women with lots of people who loved her.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 8:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Don't worry about the people, your going to pay your respects and support your husband and his family. If people you don't know offer their condolences etc thank them and talk to people the way you normally would. I guess I'm not understanding whats distressing about people you don't know being there, that's quite normal at these types of things.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Phew... Hope it went well. I saw all the restrictions and it immediately brought to mind my old church group. Ugh. I hate having to show up for those things. We actually could wear make-up and cut our hair, but not rock music, dancing, drinking, and we HAD to wear a skirt or dress. Pants were a HUGE no..no. Always kinda confusing to me...

Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2013