Anyone has advice for someone throwing their own babyshower?

My fiance and I are throwing our own babyshower since we have no help from anyone else! My main concern is should we be spending $2600 on a babyshower for ourselves but catering to everyone elses desires without being guaranteed that the peoplr we invite will show up? Or how do we react to people showing up empty handed?"Help me PLEASE!"

kenMOM09

Asked by kenMOM09 at 5:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Holidays

• I don't think that you should spend that much on your shower. If you are going to spend that much just buy the stuff for the baby yourselves. I would do it low key and if people show up empty handed at least they came to share the day with you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Take the money and spend a day shopping for what you need. Both of you. Make an outing of it and have a nice meal in addition. This will save you the work needed to put on a party, and will save you from getting stuff that you really don't want.

Answer by Bmat at 5:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• 2600?!?!!? are you kidding me! NO you should spend no where close to that much- if you have that much money to spend on a baby shower go buy the things you want yourself. LOL i would spend enough to make finger foods and have a few decorations and your cake and a few prizes. :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• agree with bmat :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It's tacky to throw your own baby shower. If you have no one to throw it for you, maybe plan a welcome the baby party. Don't spend a ton of money on it. Don't expect gifts and be grateful for what you have. Then you can spend that money on things you need for the baby. You have no friend or family member that can throw you a shower? No one gets to be mad when someone shows up to a baby shower empty handed. Maybe you can ask a friend to host it but you plan and pay for it so that it's not a party where you invite people but they can only come if they bring you loot?
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 5:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• yeah at least they show up my baby shower i was pissed i would have been happy if they would have just showed up but no they didnt only four people showed up to mine out of 30 i was upset,i even said they could have at least come just to celbrate us having another baby.and heck they got free cake.but i would only spend for a cake and some decorations.spoil your baby instead of the guests.lol
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 6:04 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• both my showers i threw myself none of me relatives would throw me one
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 6:05 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• $2600! That's crazy! Who are these people who will not throw you a shower but will demand you throw one the way they think it ought to be? I vote you go shopping and buy what you need and want for your baby. The people who want to buy you gifts will buy them whether you have a shower or not. A shower should not be something the mother to be has to stress about.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• That's too much money.

If the point of the shower is to get gifts, why not spend the money on what the baby needs?

If the point of th shower is to celebrate the baby, why not have a fun potluck?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I have never heard of giving yourself a babyshower I think that is silly if u have 2600 go buy what you need and forget it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Feb. 14, 2009