My c-section incision is infected and it split open. Should it not hurt?

I did see my doctor and was put on antibiotics three days ago. Today it started hurting bad and when I called the doc for something 4 pain
I got the cold shoulder like it should not be hurting.

They prescribed me something 4 pain but my question is.... should I NOT be having pain? Why the cold shoulder?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 5:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you have been antibiotics for 3 days you shouldn't still be hurting. I would go back b/c you antibiotics may not be working like they should. I hope you feel better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I would go to the hospital if it is still looking infected after 3 day maybe they did not give you a strong enough course of antibiotics. Don't mess around if it looks red around the area or still has puss. You could have further complications if you don't get the infection taken care of.
    pinkbutterfly

Answer by pinkbutterfly at 6:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Don't mess with a wound infection. If it hurts, go to the ER. The infection could get in your abdomen and you could get sepsis. They may need to reopen it and clean it out surgically. Though it was after a ruptured appendix, and not the same as a c-section, I had a wound infection (or maybe they just didn't get it all in the first place), that needed to be surgically taken care of. I was on IV antibiotics for a couple weeks. Had I not gone to the ER when I did, it would have killed me. I know this is a scary warning, but it's real. If you're gut is telling you to be concerned...be concerned. Doctors can be, and sometimes are, wrong. Especially over the phone.

Be well. I hope it's really just a minor thing that needs a stronger antibiotic and you're fine.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Mine hurt, but it was the kind of hurt you expect with being sliced open. And it did not split open. And the fact that you are complaining that it hurts should have them concerned. I would go to the ER or an urgent care center and have it checked. As a pp said, b/c of the type of wound, it could lead to very serious complications. Keep in mind, a C-section wound is not just a cut into your skin, it is opening up your body, and opening up your uterus. That's a lot of potential for infections.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2009