Do you have your kids do chores around the house?

What duties (strange word) do they have to do?

madmueller

Asked by madmueller at 5:44 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• Keep their rooms clean, 13yo cleans own bathroom, wash and fold laundry, vacuum common spaces occasionally (I usually do it) walk and feed dog, bring the trash to curb and return bin later, help shovel snow, tidy common area, load and unload dishwasher. Nothing too tough.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 5:58 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• My Son is 6 & he cleans up his sisters (17 months) mess when he is home & she is taking a nap. He takes the laundry out of the dryer & puts it into the den for me to fold. He'll fold the small towels into squares for me. His sister just dances in circles, LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Keep their rooms clean. When old enough, clean their bathroom. Clean the kitchen. At the right time of year they would help do yard work. The kitchen and bathroom were on a schedule.

Answer by louise2 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Yes, age appropriate tasks are assigned.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 6:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• My 11, 12, and 15 yo's do one load of laundry a week (wash, dry and fold), vacuum and dust their rooms, change their sheets, put their clothes away, clean their bathrooms (toilet and vanity, I do the tub/shower), sweep the kitchen once/week, take out the trash as needed, and do one extra chore per week (dust the dining room, wipe down baseboards or window sills, etc.).
    My 4 yo puts his toys away, helps put the clothes from the washer into the dryer and helps unload the dishwasher.
    My 2 yo helps me put her toys away.

Answer by missanc at 6:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Keep his room picked up, put away his laundry (except for his shirts cause he can't reach where they hang in the closet), help me with the dishes, help me take out the trash, roll the trash can to the curb and back and help with the recycling.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• my dd is 6, she has to keep her room clean and she likes helping with dishes so i let her wrinse them after i wash them, ds is 3 but he does help pick up his room and takes the dirty clothes that my dh has lying around to the bathroom to be washed
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• My kids contribute to the household tasks. We make requests when we need help. It's not a matter of assigned chores.

I sometimes ask for help with cooking tasks (usually prep, like snapping beans, grating cheese, greasing pans.) Or washing dishes (our dishwasher needs a repair part) or folding laundry. Sweeping the stairs, sweeping the kitchen. Shoveling snow. Stacking wood (when we get new firewood delivered) or loading stacked firewood onto the cart to bring in wood during the winter. Weeding in the garden. Strip the bed when it's time to wash sheets. Gather towels & washcloths to be washed. They of course can tidy up when they've been playing...art supplies, books, toys. They can put away their clean clothes.

Most often they respond to requests to help (sometimes my oldest takes the initiative to contribute when she sees something would be helpful), and we often work together--either on the same tasks or in the same area.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 12:46 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Yes. Certain things. She takes care of the dog. Sorts her laundry. Picks up her room. Empties the dishwasher.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2013