[x-post] Has anyone here gone from very obese to a healthy weight?

What was the impetus that caused
you to finally take care of yourself?
I'm 5'6 1/2" and weigh 285 pounds. I
have painful arthritis, borderline
diabetes, and I leak urine. Still I can't
seem to see the big picture, and
choose to instant gratification of
whatever food I want to eat over
making smart food choices. Every day
I tell myself that tomorrow I'm going
to start eating right and exercising, so
I allow myself one "last hurrah"
pigout/lazy day. But tomorrow never
comes. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• I went from 225 to my current 142. Honestly, I don't know what the impetus was, except I hated the way I felt and looked and I knew I had to do something.

What was different THIS time was that I simply counted calories. I downloaded the LoseIt app, limited myself to 1500 calories a day and walked 30 minutes a day. That was it. It was so much easier than the fad diets that are out there because I could eat plenty, as long as I stayed in that calorie range. Hummus became my new best friend; I love it and it's not packed with calories.

The first five days were tough. After that, not so much. My body got used to lower calories and it was doable.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:08 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Thank you Prissy. :) Do you know if the lose it app takes up a ton of space on your phone? I tried the my fitness pal app once, but after just a few days it had quadrupled in size, I guess from saving all my meals to the app?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Sorry, I mean Mrs_Prissy!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• this time I started at 239 and now I'm at 196 and still going.

what happened this time was I got tired of being reduced to tears while clothes or bra shopping and one day I had had enough

You have to just get to a place where you wake up one day and say TODAY this ends and then you decide that with or without anyone else- YOU are going to lose the weight and nothing is going to stop you. Then you set little goals and use every one you reach as a reason to keep going. That can be drinking your water for the day- meeting your calorie goal, walking 15 min every day for a week-whatever.

*just remember that you have to eat. Right now I eat about 1900 cal. a day-and I'm still losing (working out 1-2 hours a day 5-6 days a week too)

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:46 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• The first time I did it- I lost about 65 lbs by eating about 1800 a day at first -then dropped it to about 15 or 1600 a day. The difference was that other than my cleaning job- I was not working out and when we moved out of state and I wasn't doing that anymore -then we moved again and I was cold and depressed in Utah and I ended up gaining it all back PLUS another 25- which ultimately led me to now...and doing it a better way this time. I want it to stay gone, and I know that working out needs to be a part of it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• No, the app isn't bad at all. I haven't had any problems with it hogging space.
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:00 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• You should try Turbo Fire =) will help you with cardio, inches, toning, and weight loss.
    ymilr0718

Answer by ymilr0718 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• December 2011 I weighed 192. I am down to 142. I will lose 12 more pounds then I am done. For me it was just not feeling good about myself. I am always telling clients if there is something you don't like about yourself or you life CHANGE IT. So I did.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 12:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2013