Please help, car insurance question

The situation: My brother has a car in his name, I'm pretty sure it does not have insurance, I'm not sure if the license plates or inspection is up to date.
As they've had money problems.
SO today, his step son who's at least 35 yr old. Probably has no driver license and of-course no car insurance of his own.
Anyhow, he was involved in a car accident, where he was killed and two other's air lifted to the nearest hospital,
My question, is can my brother be held responsable for the other drivers and their vehicals?
How much trouble is he going to be in?

if it matters, my brother and his wife were in the process of seperation. AND they've lost their home to forclouser. Have to be out of the home by Feb 4th.

Any idea's thanks

Not sure where to post this, sorry

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• Condolences to your brother's family.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I am no expert but I am pretty sure that the other families can sue the one whose name the car is under. But you can't get water from a stone. If they have no assets then they may be able to garnish his wages if he is employed. I don't think they can touch retirement money. If they had a home not in foreclosure than they could put a lien on it so it it was unable to be sold until the suit was paid. So sorry for your loss.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• If the car is in his name. No insurance. He probably is liable. No completely sure though.

Answer by louise2 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Did he have permission to use the car?
    Here,you sue the person driving the car,but he's gone so,no dice
    Insurance covers all drivers of the car,but no insurance,so no one to sue
    Was it the stepson's fault?
    The other people's insurance should cover them in this case

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Well, the stepsons mom had the car in her possession , my brother was driving his truck.
    He is in Texas.
    I'm worried my brother will be at fault for everything and without money, will he get jail time?
    The only thing is that the car is in his name and probably didn't have insurance.

They said they thought he fell asleep, that was the initial report. I'm sure it's still being investigated. No final word.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:30 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• It is my understanding that anyone can sue anybody for almost any reason. Remember the lady who sued Mc D's for hot coffee?  Doesn't mean they will win. And even if they do win, like others have said, you can't get water from a stone.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 8:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I am sorry for your brother and this situation. I hope that there is way that he will not loose everything. Try calling 211 and asking for Legal Assistance. Good luck.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2013