Cannot make step daughter happy

My step daughter comes and stays two weekends out of the month, she complains that she has to sleep on the pullout couch. I have a very small house with two bedrooms and my two girls have the bedroom but they live with me full time. There is no room in the room for her. My daughters barely fit in there. they have bunk beds and share a dresser. opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in General Parenting

• How old is she?
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• She is 10.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• She needs to learn to deal with it. I understand her being uncomfortable, but its not terrible. You can only do so much when you have so little. You don't say her age..that may be an issue with how she is dealt with.
    What does your DH say/do?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:55 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Well, you could put a sleeping bag in the bedroom, or an inflatable twin bed but, all in all, I think a pull out is fine as long as the mattress is good and she gets a good night's sleep. And that she's not so isolated that she's fearful
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:56 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• She def isn't isolated the living room is next to both the bedrooms.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• to me this is wrong, if you have to move to give this chld a sense of home when she is with you and her father I suggest you do so.
    it does not take much to screw a childs mind up. saying we have no room for you so the couch it is is painful to them.

We moved, yes we took a hit but when the girls needed to NOT share anymoe because they needed their own space we did it.

You could also have your husband sleep on couch and one of your daughters or both sleep with you for rhe small amount of time she is there.

I dunno and I am sure you wont like my ideas but there they are
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 7:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Is she made to feel part of the family otherwise? If so, I figure she'll survive. Or maybe the kids could switch out beds since they're so close and all. Each kid that lives with you full time could share her bed once a month and take the couch. After all, I'm sure you want to do all you can to make sure your step daughter feels like she belongs as much as anyone else
    Mrs_Prissy

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 7:59 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Well I think she is old enough to understand she is only their 4 days a month and she will just have to sleep in the living room.
    Could you buy a blow up matress and put it on the floor of the beroom?

Answer by louise2 at 8:04 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• luvmygrandbaby: We cannot afford to get anything bigger. If he could we would but right now it's just not something we can do. Even her mother pretty much told her its over night twice a month and she needs to just suck it up.

Prissy: My kids are younger they are 3 and 5 I am not going to just take them out of their beds.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• For the 4 days she is there have your girls share a bed and let her have the other bed.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 8:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2013