Why would you send a bible to a child who's parents are not religious?

My dh is an atheist, I am a universalist (all paths lead to the same end). I do not practice any religion and we do not as a family either. My dh's sister knew dh was home and chose to call my cell to ask me if I thought it was okay for her to send a copy of the Action Bible. Basically a graphic novel version of the bible to my 5 year old for his birthday. I was busy so I asked dh to answer. I know she called my phone so she wouldn't have to ask her brother. It just pisses me off. One because she tried to weasel around her brother knowing about it and two I think it crosses the line. And the book is listed as appropriate for teens/adults. I looked at it and have no idea why should would buy it for a freakin 5 year old.

Any insight?

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 8:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in Religious Debate

• Pushing her beliefs of course

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Why would you? You wouldn't, unless you're a pushy jerk. She's a pushy jerk.

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:23 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• She tried to send it BECAUSE you're not religious. OH NOES!!!

Some people don't have the sense of a goat.

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Some people will try to push their beliefs onto you some way.

Answer by louise2 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I would throw that 'Bible' at her head.

• Also, I have to say that my mother does this constantly. None of us (my girls and me) are at all religious and my middle daughter is atheist. My mother sends my granddaughter religious stuff all the time and no amount of asking her not to works. My daughter has finally taken to just intercepting every single package that comes their way.

Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:26 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I think its a little of both being pushy and being nice about it. Truly pushing her beliefs on you would have been giving the book without asking your opinion on it in the first place.

Answer by Ginger0104 at 8:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Yeah, that's belief pushing.

Answer by 3libras at 8:37 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• See, I think it was nice of her to ask if it was okay.

What is wrong with kids learning some of the stories? I always read mine mythology books and told them about different Bible stories and such. This would not have bothered me.

*if it were my family though, there wouldn't have been any asking if it was okay- they would have just done it

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:39 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Say "no, thanks". IMHO, it's inappropriate. You can give her suggestions on gifts your son wants.

Answer by momto2boys973 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2013