Why would you send a bible to a child who's parents are not religious?

My dh is an atheist, I am a universalist (all paths lead to the same end). I do not practice any religion and we do not as a family either. My dh's sister knew dh was home and chose to call my cell to ask me if I thought it was okay for her to send a copy of the Action Bible. Basically a graphic novel version of the bible to my 5 year old for his birthday. I was busy so I asked dh to answer. I know she called my phone so she wouldn't have to ask her brother. It just pisses me off. One because she tried to weasel around her brother knowing about it and two I think it crosses the line. And the book is listed as appropriate for teens/adults. I looked at it and have no idea why should would buy it for a freakin 5 year old.

Any insight?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 8:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in Religious Debate

• While I personally am a pantheist and DH is an atheist and our families know this I also have no issue with my children learning about all faiths. That being said I have read that bible and that is NOT appropriate for a 5 year old religious or not. Some people feel it is their place to tell others how to believe and do so every chance they get. i was actually told by an ex coworker that my children were going to hell and I should have CPS called on me because I am not raising my children to believe in Jesus! Some people just don't get it. At least she had the decency to ask first, but going behind her brother's back to do it was wrong.
    Anonymous

• what kind of person sends a graphic novel anything to a 5 year old?
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I guess at least she asked instead of just sending it, maybe she is pushing her beliefs , who knows where her heart is at, but no I wouldn't do it
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:41 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Well, if nothing else this is a conversation opener with you child- that believing in the Bible is one path. It is the path that ___ has chosen and then share what you believe and do not believe with him. She may be trying to force her beliefs on him/your family but you can just as easily turn it into a broader conversation. After all what he chooses to believe is his choice and he can't make a choice with out all the information. You are FULL of great information!! I have seen you answer so many questions on religion. I have no doubt that you can take this awkward situation and run with it on your own agenda!
    Though I do agree if the Bible is geared towards teens I have no idea what that one would have been her choice...
    Anonymous

• She has a screw loose. Besides the fact that it's inappropriate, Oh BOY what an exciting gift for a 5 year old!!! Why not some matchbox cars or a coloring book? You usually don't even give a Catholic child a Bible until they make their First Holy Communion. A "Children's Bible" is given after they attend Religious instruction so they can semi-understand it.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:49 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• It's called "Being a dick".
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I'm a Christian, but I wouldn't send a Bible to a five-year-old, first if it was listed as appropriate for teens or adults, and second and most importantly, if I knew the family wasn't religious. It's forcing my beliefs on others, which I think is rude. I don't like it when others do it to me, therefore, I won't do it to anyone else. I especially wouldn't weasel around the family member who might protest so that I could get the outcome I wanted. Please know that there are still Christians out there who have some manners!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:38 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I say she is free to send whatever she wants, but it doesn't mean you have to use it. you can be gracious about the thought.....it doesn't hurt anyone/anything. you just know to screen her gifts.
    I would also say to yourself, if she has to ask you or your husband if a gift is appropriate or not, she's questioning herself if it's appropriate.
    CaliBlondeGirl

Answer by CaliBlondeGirl at 10:34 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I'd told her she's as popular as the other famiy member who keeps buying clothes for a five year old. how BORING! It's the kids bday....I'd also tell her I'd send her some ideas for things he actually likes and would like to get for his bday.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I'd be livid if someone gave my kid anything religious. Everyone that knows us knows we're an atheist family.
    caito

Answer by caito at 6:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2013