Why would you send a bible to a child who's parents are not religious?

My dh is an atheist, I am a universalist (all paths lead to the same end). I do not practice any religion and we do not as a family either. My dh's sister knew dh was home and chose to call my cell to ask me if I thought it was okay for her to send a copy of the Action Bible. Basically a graphic novel version of the bible to my 5 year old for his birthday. I was busy so I asked dh to answer. I know she called my phone so she wouldn't have to ask her brother. It just pisses me off. One because she tried to weasel around her brother knowing about it and two I think it crosses the line. And the book is listed as appropriate for teens/adults. I looked at it and have no idea why should would buy it for a freakin 5 year old.

Any insight?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 8:20 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in Religious Debate

• See, I wouldn't really have a problem with it being a bible. My MIL gave my daughter one not to long ago. She knows I let her go to church, so she wanted her to have a bible to take with her.
    I WOULD have a problem with someone trying to give my 5 and a half year old a book that was rated for teens/adults. That is an age appropriatness thing though. Not a religion thing. And, as such, I would think it would be a common sense thing too.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 25, 2013

• Personally, I wouldn't care to intro my kid to other beliefs (I have my beliefs and I let him find his own) but a graphic novel version for a FIVE year old?? They do have more age appropriate versions.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:04 AM on Jan. 24, 2013

• Because you are pushing your world view unto someone else.
    Melyssa C.

Answer by Melyssa C. at 11:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• We aren't religious (husband and I) but our family is. All of my kids have been given a bible, I tell them, you should read it. I read it. We can talk about your thoughts on it. It is on the top 100 reads for college after all. They love my kids, and although I am not a fan, that is how they show their love and inclusion for my kids. So I look at it as a nice gesture.

They (my fam and yours) are obviously pushing their beliefs, but the beauty is, you get to put it up for open discussion in your house without them present.
    OenophiliaMama

Answer by OenophiliaMama at 7:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• It was on supersale?
    She thinks you are just confused and need a nudge to get you on the right path? lol
    Wants to get some information in hislittle head (because of course you will encourage him to read a book that is a gift) before it is too late?
    She wanfs to keep you confused/ off balance and mess with your head?
    She just wanted to piss you off in a notso subtle way?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I wouldn't. Even so, she asked so you can say "No, because it is not age appropriate. Here's a few ideas of things he wants.." I've never really had to deal with this. I would graciously accept the gift, then turn around and sell it to Half Price books for store credit and buy something I deem appropriate.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:16 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• No.  I would not send such a book to a child, nor would I send a book of a religious nature to a child of a family who doesn't share those beliefs.  By the same token, I wouldn't send a Dawkins or Harris book to my nieces or nephews.  If the family chooses to discuss religion with their children, they can do it in their own way in their own time.  Children's "Bibles" are fairy tales.  They don't give a complete picture, don't answer any questions, but give a watered-down Disneyesque, highly edited version of the Bible.  I don't think that very many people read the Bible in its entirety after they graduate from the story-book versions.  They think they know it all, but those Bibles leave out the violence, the porn, the vindictive, angry destruction.  It's very unfair for anyone to give a child the pretty stories and lead them to believe that those are what the Bible is about.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 1:09 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• Gotta agree with MamaK. Those who send religious material to non-religious families are arrogant pricks. Hope your DH told her that "NO. It wouldn't be appropriate!!!"
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I'd be livid if someone gave my kid anything religious. Everyone that knows us knows we're an atheist family.
    caito

Answer by caito at 6:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I'd told her she's as popular as the other famiy member who keeps buying clothes for a five year old. how BORING! It's the kids bday....I'd also tell her I'd send her some ideas for things he actually likes and would like to get for his bday.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 21, 2013