Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Can you file for protective order on your child's behalf?

DH's ex showed him texts that her on again of again bf sent her on Friday. (She was babysitting the bf's son on Thursday, but apparently things went south.) The bf said in a text that if she didnt take him back he was going to kill her and her kids. Hence the reason she told my DH. She has no intentions of telling the cops- she just wanted DH to "handle it" for her. DH and I want to know how he can get a protective order against the guy for his kids' sake. If she is too "in love" with the dude to do it, my step kids still need protection.


Asked by Anonymous at 8:32 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • I would suspect he can. Usually, I'd suggest you see an attorney first but, in this case, I think law enforcement should be your first stop and THEN an attorney. Just to be on the safe side. I'd even go so far as to try and get an emergency custody order until this gets squared away.

    Answer by Mrs_Prissy at 8:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

  • depends on your state, in ohio you can

    Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

  • Lawyer, talk to one.

    Answer by louise2 at 8:35 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

  • Your dh needs to tell the cops... Since he has knowledge of some one threatening his children's lives!!!

    Answer by Crafty26 at 8:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

  • I'd certainly call the police or county court clerk and ask. Maybe call Guardian Ad Litem office and ask them as well.

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:50 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

  • Even if DH doesnt have the text messages? Do you think the cops would do any thing? Oh, and the guy threatening is already on probation for violence against women.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

  • yes. i obtained one here in CA on behalf of my then 6 yr old. My ex was living with a teen that was "playing" with our son and my son ended up with a busted nose. The teen was "not right in the head"...and totally not safe around my baby. I went to the police, filed a report, took photos, then went to court and got a 3 yr protection order.

    Answer by Tesserae at 11:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

  • Yes im sure that you can. My foster mom put one on my bf....who is now my husband.

    Answer by Lobelia at 12:22 AM on Jan. 21, 2013