My fiancé sister said no to being a bridesmaid in our wedding.

I don't know how to handle it. She told me she thinks it should be my "friends only". I was just trying to be nice and show her I would like to have at least some kind of relationship.

Jhj641

Asked by Jhj641 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 20, 2013 in Relationships

• If she isn't a close friend then there is no reason she should feel obligated to be in the wedding. It was nice of you to ask her, but she is being nice in letting you choose your friends as bridesmaids.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Wow, think I would be upset & what a way to start life as a "family" and being friendly? there has to be an underyling reason in my opinion for a NO anwer - it is her brother getting married? crappy.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• one more thing r u guys close or not??
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• Well, that's a load off of your mind, right? Perhaps she doesn't want to feel obligated to buy a dress she will only wear once or plan events for someone she isn't all that familiar with. Don't take it hard, just move on and have a great time planning your wedding with the people closest to you.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:43 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I think the answers will vary with how sensitive ppl are - me being a sensitive person I would be a lil' niffed inside.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• I wouldnt take it too personally. Maybe she knows she wont be able to buy a bridesmaid dress. It might be something a simple as that. Take a minute to be a little hurt and upset, then call your girlfriends up and choose one of them instead.

Congrats on your Wedding!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:53 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• We are not close, but I thought this might be a nice way to grow our relationship.
    Jhj641

Comment by Jhj641 (original poster) at 11:07 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• So. ..nuture a relationship AFTER your big day. If she isn't close to you, it would be awkward. Besides, as a pp said, she told you now so you can ask someone who wants to, a close friend. And, not everyone wants to spend money for that reason. Chances are, she would decline for the reason given even if you paid for everything. Very mature and thoughtful of her, IMO.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:11 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• *nurture.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:12 PM on Jan. 20, 2013

• No big deal if she is not interested that is fine. Bridesmaids are generally those friends nd family who are close to the bride.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:24 PM on Jan. 20, 2013