Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Life insurance question...

I have a drunk/high loser biological father that will at some point drink/drug himself to death. His parents are both gone. I am wondering what will happen once he dies. He never supported my sister or I financially, we never had a relationship with him. He molested my brother (not his child) so my mom kept us away from him. I know I will be called when he dies and expected to go to his funeral. And will be guilted by my aunt to pay for his services. Honestly, I do not want to go to the services for someone him. He is not my dad, he is a sperm donor at best. Is there anyway to get a life insurance policy to pay for his final expenses? Do they even write policies for drug users?
One aunt feels really badly about what kind of person he is and that he never supported us, the other sister is a greedy biotch and just doesn't want to shell out any money, ever.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • You are not obligated in any way, shape or form to pay for your fathers funeral expenses.

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:27 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

  • So what happens when he dies then?

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

  • Your Aunt is his sister, right?

    Let her handle it. Don't allow her to guilt trip you into anything.

    Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:35 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

  • Worst case, the county will handle it. There won't be a service, it will be essentially a pine box, but he will eventually be buried if you refuse to pay.

    Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:43 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

  • I doubt an Insurance Company would issue him a policy. It would cost more than it was worth. Refuse to pay for any of his Funeral. Let his Sisters figure it out. Speak your mind then hang up the phone. You are not obligated. Forget feeling guilty. Did he feel guilty about what he did to all of you? Let him sleep in the bed he made.


    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 12:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

  • I agree with these gals, let his siblings deal with him. Don't pay for it.

    Answer by jeanclaudia at 2:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

  • The previous posters are right, in that you dont have to pay for anything, but by law his biological children are his legal heirs and next of kins... not his sisters. So, I'd just check with a lawyer to see what your obligations will be in your state. I dont mean to scare you, but it would be worth your time. I do social service work and we were just talking about a case where a drugged out mom stepped in front of a semi and ate it... her 18 yo bio daughter got stuck with all her debt even tho the girl lived in foster care most of her life. True, a worst case scenario but they do happen. Go talk to a lawyer about this... GL

    Answer by Nimue930 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

  • If you want a burial policy contact your local funeral home you can buy directly from them. A prepaid funeral or cremation. Good luck.

    Answer by booklover545 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

  • This is not your responsibility, neither are any of this debts. Do not get guilt into anything. Even if he was a perfect dad, none of this would be your responsibility. Most do these things out of love and respect for the person. You have neither so.

    Answer by SassySue123 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.