How do you discipline your child?

Spanking? Time outs? Grounding? Taking things away? etc. Just trying to come up with different ideas to discipline my 6yr old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on Jan. 21, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is your child doing that needs to change? Does the child know what behavior is unacceptable? Start with communication. Then let the punishment fit the crime, as much as you can. Natural consequences seem to work best, in my experience. My four-year-old was getting rude and sassy the other day, so I simply walked away and said I didn't like her attitude toward me and chose not to be around it. Her tune changed at once, and she apologized. One day last week, she refused to do her coloring for preschool. I said homework came before TV, so if she decided not to do the coloring that was her choice, but then she couldn't watch the Dora the Explorer episode she'd been waiting to see for the last ten days. She colored. When she hid from me outside, I took away her bike for the week. She seems to learn best from her own mistakes, and calmly explained consequences, not just random discipline handed down from on high.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:45 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• I suck at discipline. I make empty threats and put her in her room. She isn't responding well. The more I punish her the worse she gets.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:00 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• We have had a running behavior chart for our dau for the last 3 yrs. However, she is getting at an age, where it sometimes requires immediate consequences, like taking things away. Communicate your expectations & what the consequences are if they are not met. Then stay consistent. GL

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Hang him up by his toes. JK. It depends. It typically is logical consequences. Like if he whines when the timer goes off to turn off the television he gets no television the next day. If he is making loud noises in the car I turn off the radio (drives him crazy because he loves music) and tell him I can only hear him or the music but not both. Can't eat dinner? Fine. But it's a long time until breakfast. Having a tantrum (rare in my house) then there is absolutely zero screen time for two days. Get frustrated and scream at a parent? Time out for six minutes and then role play how to do that over again but correctly communicate instead of yelling. Procrastinate for bedtime? No time to read a story. In other words each situation depends on the issue and it is easy to figure out the appropriate response. It just takes a little thinking for us. No spanking, no yelling. We model what we want from him.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:56 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• He gets things taken away or loses privileges. Spanking doesn't faze him and time outs just don't work for him.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 21, 2013

• Depends on the circumstances. Taking electronics away and grounding him seem to work best right now.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2013

• When my child was little. timeouts and loss of privileges
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• I was brought up under the "spank 'em til they quit crying" religion...So I went through a ton of beatings... I do not go to that extreme with my son.
    I will give him maybe two good swats, if I do spank. It usually gets his attention... With my son, taking something away from him that he really enjoys works better.
    Ruthmom802

Answer by Ruthmom802 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 22, 2013

• all
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 11:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2014